23

"Where's Shane?" I exclaimed, rushing through the front door. Blake jumped to his feet.

"He's not with you?"

"I lost him. We ran into hunters and-"

I didn't bother to finish. Blake had already grabbed his pistol and was jogging to the door.

"What?" Cole appeared in the bathroom doorway.

"Cole, i'll explain when we get back." I dismissed him impatiantly and moved to let Blake pass through the doorway. 

"I'll come. I can help," he decided.

I shook my head, "Not necessary, we need someone to stay behind in case Shane returns well we're gone."

Cole's eyes flashed in anger. "Of course i'm not needed. I'm sorry I tried," he turned away, heading to his bedroom. I wanted to stay and explain my reasoning's, but I didn't have the time. Cole's just going to have to deal with it.

Blake was waiting for me at the corner. "Do we split up or search together?" he asked, jogging beside me as we headed down the street.

"Lets head to where I lost him first," I decided. 

"Is it safe?" 

My laugh lacked humour, "We'll see."

Blake didn't respond to that. We both knew it was safer to stay quiet. The rain had stopped and it caused the bottom of our sneakers to slap against the pavement at a dangerous volume.  Not that we could really prevent it.

I tried my best to follow the path I had taken, which included walking past the building Kylie dragged me into. The place was abandoned, the window closed off by curtains. The windows would be too foggy from rain to see anything anyways.

The house was bleak and empty, the light grey concrete wall unappealing and filthy. It was hard to imagine a girl living there. Then again, it was a Nice place for the current times. When I was inside, I could see very little lack of care. The house was in good condition. Much like our own place. 

I tore my eyes away from the building, instead keeping my eye out for Shane or any hunters like I should have been before. 

We worked out way through several streets before I finally heard the talking. The voices weren't hushed, they were loud and proud. 

"We got one," a man hooted. I picked up the pace, almost jogging to the corner. The men's voices hushed down and I knew they heard us. I cursed inwardly, not that there was really a way to prevent it.

"Who goes there?" The man bellowed as if expected an answer. I sucked in a breath, brought my rifle up to firing position, and then jumped out of the corner's safety. I fired off bullets and was surprised to see the hunters were weaponless. Blake and I managed to shoot one down, the other tryed his best to race towards us and attack. Blake managed a shot at his arm and then another in his chest. I turned away. 

I finally looked around our surroundings and my eyes locked on a trap. It was like something from a movie. The ones where you step on the net covered in leaves andit closes around you, suspending in in the air. You just sit there in the net, waiting to be found by the foe or the friend. It's a 50/50 chance for the person in the net. In cliched novels, the prince always finds the princess. In real life, the foe always finds them first. Sometimes, like this case, the friend comes along and kills the foe but a majority of the time the friend never finds you. 

That's what happened to Shane. He's stuck in a dirty brown net, curled into fetal position. He wasn't bleeding or injured. He was watching us in silence, his eyes questioning. The net dangled in the middle of the alley, above arm's reach.