7

_____________________________________

Chapter Seven

_____________________________________

The next day, I was flying down an empty road at around 140 miles per hour. It was too fast for my liking, but the empty road was making me uneasy. The highway was abandoned, not even any park cars. It looks sort of serene. Unlike the city, there were no blood or body parts laying around.

"Guys, we're running close to empty," I sighed.  I looked through the bloody windshield, and horrid images passed through my eyes. The bald man's face, the car plummeting forward and running over several of them, a few even flying over the roof. I shook my head.

I am going crazy, it is final. 

"Pull off at the next town. We should check the damages and clean the windshield anyways," said Erin. She had her forehead pressed against the cold glass. She was acting shockingly calm. Not shaken up in the least about what happened last night. I looked in the back mirror at Cole and Blake. Cole was playing with his fingers, conflicting emotions on his face. He was clearly still worked up but that didn't surprise me. In school, Cole was never the bad kid. Sure, we both got lots of detentions for pranks, but he has good grades, a good life, he had a bright future. He wasn't quiet or shy, however Cole wasn't rambunctious either. He took the safe route in everything, the route that won't do long term damage to anything.

Looking at Blake, I felt like he is the opposite. Someone who is more confident. A risk taker and rule breaker. Possibly even a heart breaker. Not rude though. Not selfish and heartless. Just the fact that he was at the hospital instead of school when this all started just demonstrates the fact that he is indeed a kind person.

 I pulled off the highway at the first chance I could. Erin checked the map, and decided that we are officially about four hours away from home, six away from Thunder Bay. I pulled into a town a little bit larger than our own and to my surprise it wasn't abandoned. The roads were quiet and relatively clean. There was movement in many houses though, some people even looked out the windows as we passed.  As we rolled down the main street, I kept my eyes peeled for a gas station. Instead of just a gas station, I found a grocery store with pumps off to the side.

We aren't the only people at the grocery store. There was a line outside of the door, and a separate, smaller line in front of the pumps. A man strolled up to our car as we parked.

"Do you have a gas tank?" He asked, setting a gloved hand on the car's side. The window was rolled down just a notch, enough so I could speak to him. I nodded slowly. I was hesitant to reply, until I saw the badge on his shirt. He was an officer. He would help us. "Son, do you have an adult with you?" He asked calmly. I shook my head no. The man clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

"Why is there a whole line of people?" Erin asked from behind me. Unlike me, she wasn't scared to ask question. The officer smiled softly at her.

"Well, once the streets cleared people ran here for resources. Ransacked the whole store. The town officers, including me, have taken control and we are keeping everything in order.. Making sure the resources are spread out evenly and distributed equally to individuals. Prevent future chaos," He explained.

"What do we get?" Blake asked, leaning forward so he could see the officer.

"Well, if you have a gas can we can fill that, but only one. The store is an all-in-one convenience. You get a couple packs of berries. We want to hand these outs before they get bad, you also get a couple emergency objects. A flashlight, batteries, and a rope. If you had an adult or someone over eighteen, we will also give everyone a protection weapon as long as you agree to use it defensively," The officer explained. Erin smiled, clearly pleased by the officers offer.