5

You know those nights where you can't fall asleep for the life of you? When you waste the night by tossing and turning even though your limbs and eyes burn with exhaustion?

This is one of those nights last night. I've barely slept a wink by the time early morning rolls in and Erin comes stomping into the room.

"Let's go, your parents are likely already in Thunder Bay if they didn't run into any troubles! We have to get a move on." She orders. I groan, opening my eyes slowly. "Hope you slept well, we have a big day ahead of us," she says, reaching for the light switch.

"Why is it so dark? What time is it?" Cole groans, rolling like a fish out of water in his blankets.

"Around five thirty. Grandma wakes up at six and we have to be gone before she wakes up," Erin says, flipping the light switch with a frown. "Hydro's out." Leaving the switch off, she then tossis an outfit towards me. "I've already been to your house; I went last night well you two slept like scared puppies. I grabbed three outfits for each other than the one I just tossed you. It should be good for the ride, with extras in case of you need it, nothing else is done though."

I nod. It makes sense, packing the night before. Regret washes over me, I wish I was more of a help for her before. With my mind barely functioning in the dark, I kick my way out of the tan blankets, swinging my tanned legs over the side of the bed. I'm wearing nothing but boxers and Erin's face flushes, turning away. I smirk, thinking about how much of a church girl she is. I almost forgot for a second that she doesn't ever hang out with people her age, let alone anyone older than her. By the way she'd bossing us around it's hard to remember that she never really communicates with anyone.

"Can you please, just get ready," My smirk grows and Cole himself starts to chuckle. The younger girl hides her most likely pink cheeks behind her platinum blonde hair, her arms crossed in an almost pouting way.

"Alright, getting ready," Erin nods briskly before turning on her heel and walking out of the room. The second the door shuts, Cole and I burst into laughter.

The whole ordeal seems overly funny in our opinions. Come on, the world is pretty much falling apart. We are allowed to find little things over amusing. Cole and I have always been pranksters, the people who will be called to detention weekly with all of the black coated smoking bad kids who got in trouble for skipping classes to cry in the bathroom. Me and Cole? We take pride in our detentions, strolling past those hunched over trench coats and laughing our way to the back seats, heels kicked up on the desk in front of us.

If you get detention for a prank, you know you did the prank well. We have given up on trying being sneaky with things. Something suspicious happens? We're the first people who are pegged as responsible. Even when we actually are not.

"We better seriously get ready, or she'll have our heads on a plate," I sigh with reluctance, clambering off of the bed and stepping into the darkness and replacing my old school clothes with the outfit Erin had tossed me.

While Cole dresses, I walk over to the closet. I expect it to be empty or filled with spare coats. Instead, I'm greeted with suitcase piled on top of suitcase, the top one open with girl clothes spilling out of it.

So is this... Erin's room? I roll my eyes over the decorations. It's awfully plain, Lacking all sense of home. No wonder she wants to come with us, she clearly doesn't want to be here.

Why else would her room look like a motel? Rose isn't the type of person who won't allow Erin to decorate. She must want it like this herself. Fighting the urge in my head that tells me I'm being nosy, I dig through her suitcase. There's nothing but clothes. I furrow my eyebrows, does she not own anything of her own? She must have hobbies of some sort.