Chapter 10: Azkaban

When I woke up I knew exactly what I was going out to do. I found Peter on a street in the city and drew his attention.

“Peter,” I said quietly from behind him. The rat whipped around and his eyes widened in shock.

“Sirius, how could you?” He yelled drawing attention. “Lilly and James were our friends.”

“You little rat,” I said. “You betrayed them, not me.” No one appeared to have heard me.

He smiled for a second a whispered, “But they don’t know that.”

I pulled out my wand and went to curse him, but instead he flicked his wand. I saw him begin to transform into a rat and then he muttered a curse and I felt myself blown back by the explosion.

When I realized what he’d done I began to laugh. He’d come far from the foolish school boy. He’d betrayed Lilly and James and gotten away with it. Everyone heard him saying it was me, and the only witnesses hearing him admit it were blown to bits. I’d be sent to Azkaban for it all. I could feel the irony. A young man came up behind be and I felt chains wrap themselves around my arms and legs.

*****************************************************************************

It had been twelve years. Twelve long years since I’d been sent to Azkaban, and all for crimes that I didn’t even commit. Every happy thought was gone, and I could barely maintain my sanity. The only thing that kept me going was a few simple thoughts.

The first was my obsession with my daughter and godchildren. I couldn’t remember them happily, but I knew they were alive. They had to be.

The second was the obsession with one day seeing Peter dead. I was nearly positive he’d gotten away from that explosion, but it wasn’t like anyone would ever believe me. They’d found a finger, but that was it. I had to see him dead for what he’d done. What he’d done to James and Lilly and what he’d done to me.

The final thing was the knowledge that I was innocent. I knew I hadn’t committed any of the crimes I was here for, and I was better than the other scum in here. The only thing that gave me any pleasure anymore was the knowledge that Bellatrix was here, even if it wasn’t for killing Olivia.

One day Cornelius Fudge came for an inspection and I asked him for his newspaper. He reluctantly handed it to me and I saw my distant cousins on the front. The Weasley family. Then I noticed the smallest boy holding an old rat. I looked closer to see it was missing a toe. All they could find was his finger. I knew right then that it was Peter. I read on and learned the boy was at Hogwarts.

“He’s at Hogwarts,” I whispered knowing what I had to do.

One week later I used the last of my energy to turn into the dog and I slid between the bars of the  cell and into the cold waters that surrounded the island. I began the agonizingly long swim back and repeated my new mantra.

Peter’s at Hogwarts. I will find him. He will pay.

****************************************************************************

The End!

So what did you all think of my short story? I loved writing it and I hope you loved reading it. I'm not done yet though!

The next story in this series will be starting later today. I'm going to write it right now. It will be titled: Uncovered Secrets.

Now that Voldemort knows that Sky exists she isn't really a big secret anymore, instead it's time for her to start figuring out where she fits into the changing world around her.

Uncovering Secrets will cover The Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire from Sky's POV and you will find out what happened to Hope Black.