Growing Up: Sequel to Secret Existence

I silently approached my friend’s door and knocked twice; James opened the door and let me in.

“Sirius,” He said nodding and letting me in.

I smiled, “How’s Lilly?”

“She’s great. They all are,” He smiled, “Come on, I have a bit of a surprise for you.”

I raised an eyebrow and followed James back into a small room at the back of the house. He knocked once and opened the door, “Lilly, Sirius is here.”

“Sirius, come in,” Lilly smiled warmly I saw she was holding a small bundle in her arms.

“Is that Harry?” I asked.

James looked at me and we walked in, “Actually that’s Sky.”

“Sky,” I said questioning. “It’s a girl?”

“Twins,” Lilly smiled. “Harry’s in the cradle.”

“Brilliant mate,” I said clasping James’s shoulder.

“Sirius, we need your help,” Lilly said staring at the baby girl as if memorizing her face.

I looked between them, “What’s wrong?”

“It’s not safe,” Lilly said. “Dumbledore already told us that Voldemort is after Harry.”

“That’s nonsense, Lilly. You guys are safe here,” I said shaking my head.

She looked at my pleading, “Sirius, please listen.” I nodded.

“It’s not safe for us to have Harry, forget having Sky too,” James said staring at the baby in Lilly’s arms. I was confused.

Lilly looked into my eyes, “Take care of our little girl. Please, Sirius.”

“Me, take care of a baby?” I asked incredulous.

James nodded, “You’re my best mate. I trust you.”

“I can barely take care of myself,” I objected.

Lilly shook her head tears rolling down her face, “Sirius Black, I’m begging you. You’re their Godfather. Sky needs you.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

James nodded, “Just until it’s safe for her to come home. I know you can do it.”

“Who’ll know that I have her?” I asked giving in.

“Us,” he said.

“When do you want me to take her?” I asked.

Lilly frowned, “As soon as you two have gotten a place ready for her.”

“We’ll go know,” James said and I nodded. We went to Grimmauld Place and he helped me to baby proof a room as well as gave me instructions for what to buy to fill the room. It was around six PM when I had everything ready. We went back to Lilly who was holding both babies. Harry was reaching towards her hair and Sky was just looking around silently. Lilly began to cry when she saw us. James put an arm around her. They both looked at the perfect baby girl who was already the spitting image of her mother. Lilly bent down and kissed her on her forehead. James took the baby and held her close kissing her forehead as well. He passed the baby to me staring at her sadly.

“You’ll see, this is all nonsense,” I told them. “She’ll be back home in a few weeks with her family where she belongs.”

“Wait,” Lilly said as I turned. I looked back wondering if she was changing her mind. Instead she took off her necklace and held it out to me, “For my daughter to remember me by.”