OPHELIA: CHAPTER SEVEN

"Opheliaaaaaaaaa," Mat's drunk voice came through the phone and into her ear. Mathew called her after his game ended. She knew he was drunk. They had won, and he was clearly very excited.

"What's up, Barzy?" She asked. "How are you doing on this lovely day my beautiful best friend." He slurred and she smiled. "Mathew, it's 11 at night, it's not the day anymore. But, I'm doing okay. Talking to this kid who's really drunk." She joked. "No way! I'm drunk too!" He said and she laughed. "Who are you talking to?" He asked her. "Well, let's see. He's handsome, funny, and he's not going to remember this in the morning." She said. "I'm handsome and funny! You're talking to me!" He said and she laughed. "That's correct." She said.

"Fuck, I love you Ophelia." He said. She was startled. Her and Mat told each other they loved one another all the time when they were younger, but he hadn't since they were 14. She knew she loved him, but her heart was broken. She didn't want to let him seep in through the cracks. She couldn't be loved. She knew it.

"Mathew," she said. "Ophelia, I love you god damn it! The day you left, I was on my way to tell you I've been in love with you since we were pretty much in fucking kindergarten. God damn it, I love you Ophelia Jane. The I want to marry you, kind of love." He rambled drunkly and she was speechless. She didn't know what to say. At first she thought he was just saying shit while drunk.

Drunken words are sober thoughts.

She could hear her mother saying that. For weeks after her alcoholic father left them, Ophelia said he didn't mean it. He would come back. And her mother always told her that.

Ophelia knew he meant it.

"I-I have to go." She blurted out and hung up.

Drunken words are sober thoughts.