4. Exposure

Chapter Four: Exposure (Zayn)

"You have reached the digital messaging system of-" I shut off my car's PA in irritation.

"Shit." This was my fourth attempt at contacting Ni since I left the house. If I got sent to voice mail one more time I was going to lose it.

The streets were dark, but not at all lifeless. Drug dealers and their clients drifted in and out of corners. Whores worked the block, monitored closely by their pimps in sleek cars across the way. Gang cameras and droids prowled the town, watching out for rivals and trouble. Wannabe thugs, too young to even know what that term really meant, tried to sell goods back to the needy masses they stole them from. This was their life. Sad, but it was the only way most of them knew and could live. Police and Elites didn't give a fuck what happened down here as long as their precious Qyteti Kataryal wasn't affected.

I searched the dimly lit sidewalks for that familiar head of dyed blonde hair out of wishful thinking. Niall would never hang out here willingly, this is crazy. He's probably whining about being left at some fufu coffee place in the city. Even if he wasn't, it's stupid to think I'd find him by just driving around. This was literally pointless, he was probably fine. But if something happened...

I groaned resenting my compassion. I should just be apathetic, like a sociopath. Then I wouldn't be down on the worst street of the Nethers at nearly midnight.

I parked under a street light on the east side of Blight nearest to the Connector. This would probably be the safest place to park, though not by much.

I walked down the dirty familiar street, passing dirty familiar roads, shrugging past the whores that tried to rub against me and the Jungs that were trying to get me to purchase what looked like an antenna on top a piece of shit in a miniature old-fashioned trashcan. Who comes up with this stuff?

I didn't even bother asking any of these people if they'd seen Niall, they'd only tell if they thought they'd get some kind of reward. I don't have time for no fucking award ceremony. Just go online if you want one that badly.

I groaned in irritation, this was getting me nowhere. The only blondes I saw were a few whores and this particularly awkward looking Jung.

A few drunk college kids came stumbling out of a bar laughing obnoxiously. Calm down Honey, I promise your camel toe isn't that funny.

I shoved passed them glad none of them were paying attention to one thing long enough to notice who I was. I had enough issues without having to worry about being recognized. Hopefully, the hoodie is helping with that. Then again maybe if they recognized me they'd let me join them. Getting drunk sounds hella good right now.

Today has been one hell of a day. First Niall's continued sickness. The kid had been sick for a good two weeks and was running us ragged with his ridiculous requests and insults. 'Get me some orange juice Li' 'Rub my back Hazza, it hurts' 'I swear to God if you and your faggotry touch my stuff again you won't live long enough to regret it.' I started to respond to that by taking his stuff and shoving it down his throat so he wouldn't live long enough to regret talking shit, but then Lou finally gagged the dumb ass and dragged him to his appointment. Ni was such an ADD brat, that all happened within the ten minutes before they left. That little shit had some major problems and I didn't see why the All Powerful Management couldn't do something about his attitude when they could do ridiculous stuff like getting an Elephant to perform at Liam's birthday and catapult that one crazy chick, who was trying to steal our used underwear and armpit hair, to a different city. Then there's Harry. Hazza's such a sweetheart, but the kid out of his mind dependent as well as irrational. He clings to us like we're his lifeline, even Ni, when he's not throwing shoes at the child. But he turns around and decides he wants a guy who's 6 years older than him and clearly has some other commitment, or at least a sex toy. Now this.  Alcohol would be a welcome savior.