The Freshman loves the Sophmore (14)

A month and a half later in March, Bryson finally got out of the hospital. He wasn't allowed to go to school again because he was still a little unwell. The doctors didn’t want him to over-do things and risk his health.
Things stayed the same between Carson and I. We hung out a lot and really liked each other. But mine and Laura's friendship was being tested. We became kind of distant, but still friendly. We talked every now and then but not as often as we used to. Laura thought it was weird that Carson and I liked each other. After all, I am her best friend and Carson is her brother. I understand where she's coming from. She and Bryson did like each other for a while earlier in the year and I found that weird at the time.
Cal and I are still best friends. We tell each other everything. He's like a second brother to me.
The school year has been going by fast. Things progressed quickly and before I knew it, it was almost the end of May.
***
"Hey, Sophie!" Cal called in the hallway the last week of school. "Are you excited to be a sophomore next year?"
I nodded and smiled. "Yes! We won't be at the bottom of the food chain anymore."
Cal laughed. "Things should be fun next year."
"I hope." I agreed. "We can pick on the little freshmen."
Cal nodded. "That's going to be interesting."
"Sophie, let’s go!" Carson called from behind me.
I hugged Cal goodbye and ran off with Carson.
Carson kissed my lips and put his arm around me. "Good day?"
"Yes." I said.
"Excited for summer?" He asked.
"Yes." I repeated.
Carson laughed. "I'm getting my permit in a week."
I smiled. "So we can go out... alone... in your car."
"We can." Carson agreed.
I giggled. "Where's Laura?"
He shrugged. "I think my mom's driving her home. She wanted to see Bryson."
"Does she like him again?" I questioned curiously.
Carson glanced at me. "What do you think?"
"Yes?" I replied.
He nodded. “You know Laura, always going back to him. I can’t believe Bryson hasn’t asked her out yet though.”
“He’s not officially allowed to date until High School.” I replied. “My Dad’s all strict about that.”
“I guess I asked you out right at the perfect time then.” Carson winked.
I punched his arm. “Shut up. You know you did.”
“I know.” Carson laughed and kissed the top of my head.
I laughed. "I wonder what's going to happen between Bryson and Laura over summer break. I mean, they're both going to be freshmen next year so Bryson can date. Things will be so different for them. I think he’s going to ask her out over summer. Do you?”
"Laura changes her mind, like, twice a week so I doubt she’ll say yes." Carson answered.
“True.” I sighed. “Bryson is a chicken, too.”
We both laughed and talked more as we walked home.
***
Today's the day- the last day of freshman year.
I'm almost done.
Things will be grand after today.
Yes!
As I final bell rang, I breathed a sigh of relief. Freshman year is over. Done. Complete. History.
As I walked home with Carson, we talked about the next school year- how he was going to be a junior and going to be starting to look at colleges.
"I would love to stay close to you, Sophie. But I would also love to go to the University of California Berkley for baseball." Carson said.
"I wish I could go with you when you leave for college but I'll still have one more year of high school." I stated sadly.
Carson kissed my head. "We'll only be away from each other for a year."
I sighed. "This age difference sucks. I wish we were in the same grade."
"I know, I know." Carson calmed me down. "But let's not think about that right now. Let's enjoy summer."
I smiled. "This is going to be our summer. Let's make it count!"
Carson stopped walking and pulled me in for a kiss. We stood there on the sidewalk for a few minutes making out. I felt so safe in his arms. It was amazing.
Summer was going to be fantastic!