15 |🐾| Predators |🐾|

A/N: As you read, please leave comments and vote (★) if you can! Fleeter needs your help to be seen and read by others. Thank you ~ 

CHRIS

The mud splattered and caked across Christopher's face as he jammed his shovel deep into the Earth's crust

The mud splattered and caked across Christopher's face as he jammed his shovel deep into the Earth's crust. He paused for breath and wiped his face the back of arm. A few more hours of digging and his mission would be complete.

Chris had spent exactly one hundred days and nights at this god-forsaken army camp. It had been the most difficult experience of his life. Each and every day was a new test of his wits, his speed, and his endurance. It was a survival of the fittest.

Chris checked his surroundings out of habit. He stood completely still, slowed his breathing, and listened to the forest. A nightgale sang mournfully, crickets chirped brightly, nothing disturbed the peace. His disappearance hadn't been discovered yet. He was safe to work a little longer.

He was careful. Always, very careful. Chris always covered his traces coming and going into the forest. He couldn't afford to slip-up.

Chris was in a camp among predators. They were the most depraved souls on this planet. One wrong step and his teammates would eat him for dinner. They wouldn't actually kill him of course–that's where the general drew the line–but there were a thousand ways they could torture him. Chris had seen it first-hand. What they'd done to William.

Help me. Stop them.

The words, the screams, still haunted him every night. He could hear them echo in the emptiest part of his soul. Every time he closed his eyes, the memory came back to him.

In another time and in another place, perhaps he and William could've been friends. But fate had been cruel to them both.

Lieutenant Bones led Chris to his bunk. "Top bunk of the double-decker. Don't start trouble or you'll be sorry," the lieutenant laughed. Chris was reasonably certain Bones was insane.

"Hi, you joined today?" A friendly face peered up at him from below. Chris nodded. His new neighbor climbed up the side. "Me too! I'm William, and you are?"

"Chris."

"What brings you here?"

Christopher shrugged. He couldn't exactly tell the man that he came to fulfill a top-secret mission.

William didn't seem to notice. "I'd heard rumors, you know. I'm from the city of Zanthum. Heard of it? Probably not. It's a small town, got a population of maybe a few hundred. Everybody knows everybody else. Cousins marrying cousins. Ugh. I hated it. I wanted out. A pal of mine told me about this place. So one night, I went to the airport, stole one of their helicopters, and tada!"

William had been an ill-fit from the start. He'd treated the army as some kind of glorified adventure. He was like a lamb traveling in a pack of wolves. He'd been easy prey for the predators in Unit G. When night fell, they'd pounced.