CH. 10 [NEW]: Killer Instinct

JON

The sound of the horn startled him, but he didn't show it

The sound of the horn startled him, but he didn't show it. It seems too happy, too uplifting a sound to be played as a call to arms. And just like all other happy, uplifting sounds, it irritated him.

Jon let his subconscious mind take over and asses the situation while he ran in the direction of the gates. As always, he was ready for anything. His seven-foot custom-made steel staff was strapped to his back and his quiver was full of arrows.

He was not going fast enough to intercept. He needed to increase his speed by 20% and recalculate his route.

Jon let his magic trickle into his blood and into his quads and hamstrings, encouraging them to greater speeds. A normal person would've been crippled. He was destroying muscle at an incredible pace.

But Jon wasn't normal. As an elf, his body already had an increased capacity for cell repair. The genetic advantage, combined with his immense magical talent, meant he was nearly totally immune to cell damage. Even the most experienced elven warriors couldn't match his strength, speed, and agility. 

2.13 seconds. Jon was the first one on the walkway at the top of the gate.

Slamming one knee to the ground, he pulled out one arrow and loaded his bow. He pulled back the string taunt, against his ear, and stood to take aim at the encroaching enemy.

He blinked. Could it really be? The arrow fell from his giant bow as he let his arms relax suddenly.

One invader. There was one tattered, raggedy, dirt-smattered man on the main road. One beggar and his horse. It was not even worth the energy he'd already spent, so Jon let his eyes close and waited for the others to arrive.

2.56 minutes–the second person on the scene was the green-eyed girl. The one who'd yelled at him the day of the test. Jon didn't know her name. Nor did he ask. He had no interest in remembering. The old Jon would've pitied her for being second-place. He probably would've teased her and competed with her and gloated about his success. But not now. Not today. Not anymore.

The green-eyed girl was leaning over the gate. She tip-toed in an effort to see the man in the distance better. He predicted that she'd fall to the other side if she put even one more pound of flesh over the gate. The old Jon would've warned her.

New Jon stayed quiet. It was none of his concern if she accidentally killed herself. It'd be a relief actually. Her voice was always cheery, upbeat, and friendly. He hated cheery, upbeat, and friendly.

Lucky for her, the Honorable Reginald Sawyer arrived just in time to pull her back. "Myc, you almost died."

"Almost being the key word." She put her hands on her narrow hips. "Okay Wonderboy, where's the rest of the invading army?" Was she serious or joking? He didn't answer.