1 |✈| Fleeing |✈|

A/N: As you read, please leave comments and vote (★) if you can! Fleeter needs your help to be seen and read by others. Thank you ~ 

Esmeralda

In the dead of the night, two mysterious figures emerged from the darkness at the end of the mayor's hallway

In the dead of the night, two mysterious figures emerged from the darkness at the end of the mayor's hallway. One was human. One was not.

Esmeralda Warner sat in a corner near the fireplace, cloaked in shadow, alert and sufficiently armed with her two sharpest knitting needles. Without dropping a stitch, she addressed the figures in her signature drawl, "Shall I pack some birthday cake for the road, child?"

Her granddaughter, Evelyn Warner, turned around slowly and faced her. Esmeralda caught Eve's eyes glancing towards the front door, just a few short steps away.

She waited to see what her granddaughter would choose to do. Eve could probably make it to the door if she ran, but that wouldn't be a very honorable farewell.

The girl did not run. 

Bravo

As Esmeralda's mother had taught her, so she'd taught Juliette, and so Juliette had taught Evelyn. The Warner Code, though it lay written in neither book nor paper, was a familiar companion to them all. 

Tis always better to hold our heads up high and die with honor, than to hang our heads in shame and live with dishonor.

Her granddaughter took a few steps forward. "What are you doing here Nana? I thought you hated coming downtown, especially to the manor house."

Esmeralda chose not to reply. From Eve's shoulder, a smaller set of eyes swirled in shades of orange and pink, registering happiness at Esmeralda's presence. Mojo chirped a cheerful welcome and and alighted onto Esmeralda's lap.

"And hello to you too darlin'." she scratched affectionately under his scaly chin. The dragon purred and rapidly swished his tail back and forth.

"It's been a long time since I saw you last, huh? Too long, baby, too long. I need to update your software. Can't have any viruses in my masterpiece. No siree, that would be absolutely unacceptable." Esmeralda nodded firmly.

The firelight danced upon Mojo's semi-translucent wings, making his indigo-and-gold scales shine. He was her finest piece of work–the only draconic, robotic assistant in the entire city of New Ramona. It'd taken Esmeralda four whole months to assemble the nuts and bolts alone. Then she'd spent three more months to design, write, and install the most secure and intelligent program assistant in existence. Her son-in-law, Galbraith Warner, had added the finishing touches to Eve's graduation gift, with the addition of synthetic skin and wings.

"Nana?"

Esmeralda snapped out of her reverie. Eve's face was twisted with worry. The expression was so distorted that it was borderline comical. "Calm down sweetie. I'm not gonna stop ya."