I'm Obligated to Know

Love, Kat

Chapter 7

The morning whips past me like a gentile breeze, not too cold but not too exciting. Classes went by faster and easier than usual, even during P.E. when we played the difficult game of volleyball. I managed to actually touch the ball and get it over the net without the help of a club player.

"Do I need to walk you over?" Luke stands outside the gymnasium waiting for me when I'm dressed in my regular clothes and not the god forsaken gym shorts. His hair is wet from the showers where as mine is dry as the desert and dirtier than a porn tape.

"You don't need to, but you sure can." Sometimes I think of Luke as the older brother I never asked for. He's just always there when you need him the most and even when you don't need him at all.

"Then let's go, here hand me your bag." I hand him my book bag, the usual routine, and we make our way over to the east wing of the school where the library is held.

It really surprises me how Luke hasn't had a girlfriend yet. Then again, I don' think anyone in this whole has a heart big enough for Lucas. He's too kind and he cares too much about practically anyone. It would be a shame to see him settle for someone less.

"I was pretty surprised to hear about what he did this morning."

"Who?"

"Noah. When he showed up to your house this morning."

"Oh, why?"

Shoving his hands into his sweatshirt, Luke shrugs. "I don't know it just seemed really big of him. The guy is all about himself and his rep, it was kind of shocking to hear about what you told me."

We are close to the library now, and we both slow down as people turn the corner on the way to the cafeteria. A young boy in a hurry rushes past me, knocking my shoulder side ways in the process.

"You alright?" Luke steadies me with a gentle arm and laughs at my expression.

"Ouch, he must be on the football team, sure hits like one. I'm good." We continue walking. "Yeah, I guess your right. Maybe there's a whole different side to him no one knows about. What if it's all just a front?"

Luke always liked to point out that my weakness and strongest point in my personality was the ability to see both sides of every person. He claimed I saw the good in the most evil of people and that some day it'll blind me from the truth. Then he said I could rarely see the fault in some of the kindest people; that I can tell when people are only nice when there's something in it for them. I always tell him it's cause I see everything happen around us, and learn from every person.

"Let's hope you're right, and if you are, that boy sure is a damn good actor," Luke finishes as we reach the entrance of the library. Opening the door, he lets me pass through before following me in. I figured Noah would be late our session, so I picked a seat near the back of library in order to hide us from civilization but still in plain sight of the door.

Not five minutes later, Noah walks in. The hood of his letterman jacket is pulled up and in his hand is a brown paper bag. Luke gets up, hugs me goodbye and walks up to Noah pointing to the back of the library, where I wait.

"Hey." The hood falls off of Noah's head by the time he reaches me, showing off the slightly damp hair of his. "Why was Liam here?"

For a second he has me lost before I realize he's talking about Luke.

"His name is, Luke, and he walked me here and waited for you to show up." My voice comes out a little harsher than I inspected, but he was being a little obnoxious.