I Recommend Some Netflix

Love, Kat

Chapter 5

I'm not popular among teens; I think we've all established that. Fortunately, what most people don't know, I'm quite...favored in the land of adults. In fact, as strange as it is, one of my favorite people in the whole school is Nurse Rachel.

Back in freshman year, when I was always put in the nurse's office for being a constant klutz, Nurse Rachel was probably the only person to laugh with me on my constant battle with gravity. In a way, she was more of a mentor than school staff, as I constantly looked up to her for advice or just something to talk to.

Which is why I'm walking to her office right now, with a heavy heart and an even more shattered confidence. Although I hated missing classes, I didn't really want to face Noah or Luke or anyone of that sort after the incident at lunch, which will probably make it more awkward later this evening when I tutor Noah.

The nurse's office is located near the gymnasium, far from the office so there's really no way to get caught for being in the hall without a hall pass.

"Kat? What bring you here, I though you had P.E. in the morning?" Nurse Rachel sits behind her tiny desk reading some type of Romance novel. She's not old really, only like 45 years old, so it makes it a little less awkward being friends with her.

"It was. I'm just not feeling to hot right now." Surprisingly, I'm a really good liar.

Setting her book down, Rachel stands up and points to the exam table, waiting for me to get situated on top of it.

"Fever?"

I shake my head.

"Stomach ache?"

I shake my head.

"Head ache?"

Again, I shake my head.

"Mean kids."

I shrug.

"Oh, I see. What happened today?" Rachel crosses her arms and sits on the rolling chair.

I go into the events during lunch as she listens quietly hanging onto every word. Her expression changes from shocked to sympathetic on every detail. When I finish, her head remains shaking in disappointment.

"That Farah sure is something. Can't blame her though, her mom is your stereotypical stuck up, Beverly Hills mom."

I frown. "But never every kid has to be like their parents."

"Not every kid knows better."

"Oh."

"Listen, Kat, I wish I give you something to make the embarrassment away, but sadly I can't. You are just going to have to suck it up and show them you don't care about what she said. Learn from this mistake and don't surround yourself with people like Farah." See, she's good with advice.

"But I do. I do care what they think that's why I'm always hiding."

"Don't let them know that you do. I recommend a good night's sleep and maybe some Netflix. I'll right you a hall pass, now get back to class."

Gathering herself, Rachel heads back to her desk looking for her hall passes somewhere in her desk. Writing a quick excuse on the paper, she rips it off and sends me on my way with a pat on the back.

Instead of going straight to class, I head for the bathroom to make sure my eyes aren't red from crying. Of course, they are, so I stand there for a good five minutes washing my face and applying concealer onto my problem areas, which should be everywhere if I had the time.