The 'Hump-N-Dump' Club

Love, Kat

Chapter 3

I think of my life as a big routine: wake up, go to school, do homework while waiting for Kai's football practice to end, go home, sleep (with the normal meal times every once and a while). Everyday is the same (unless a book club meeting is called), other than that nothing new nothing old. I'm like a robot wired to be this way, and a good 75 percent of the time-I hate it.

Don't get me wrong sometimes it's good to have a schedule; it cuts out any time for mistakes and mishaps. But even the most anti-social, organized, perfectionists wish they had a crazier life; I'm a teenager after all. Regardless of what I want, at the end of each day, my homework is done, a book is finished, and my plate is still half eaten at the dinner table.

"Hey, I thought steak was your favorite?" My father sits at the head of the table like always, at 'always' on the days he's actually home. Being an on-call doctor really takes his time away from home, some days he can't even make it to Kai's practices. In fact, seeing him even at the dinner table is a kind of weird for me.

I set my fork down and look up from my hardly touched food. "I'm a vegetarian, dad." Clearly, we don't really spend time getting to know each other, how could you when there are three other boys to hang around with and talk football to.

"A veg-since when?"

"Freshman year, besides I had a huge lunch."

Mom glances up and looks at whatever part of body she can see. She is also a doctor, daily checks aren't uncommon whenever they are home.

"Did you? Farah said you and Noah were talking in the hall during lunch." I've suddenly decided I don't like Farah and her loud mouth. Also, I don't like Kai either.

Kai has only done this to spite me. He knows exactly how my parents feel about Noah.

"I'm sorry, did you say Kat and Noah were talking?" My dad drops his fork onto his plate with a 'clang!'. Kaleb, our youngest brother jumps in surprise before joining the staring party mom, dad, and Kai are having in my honor. "Kat?"

"Really? He's Kai's best friend why is it such a big deal?" Throwing my hands up, I push my plate away. "I'm sorry he asked me to help in Spanish, what am I going to do, deny him a good grade?"

"Kat, we know he's Kai's friend and we love him like our own, but he's a good boy with bad intentions. We've heard what's he's done with girls." Mom tries calming me down. I'm a strong advocate for equality so there's no point in them really trying.

"Kai is the same way! They've practically made a 'hump-and-dump' club together!" I point at the thing I call my brother, who only glares in defense. I swear there is something wrong with this family and every member in it including me.

Dad frowns. "Kai is an immature, yet mature boy. He'll grow up soon."

"And I'm a mature girl, thank you for stating the obvious dad."

"Kat!"

"Mom!" I yell back.

"Kaleb!"

"Shut up, Kaleb." I snap at him. I go back to my parents. "All I am doing is helping him in a class he's not doing so well in. He's your best friend, Kai and he's one of your best players, dad; he knows better and so do I."

There is moment of silence where both my parents glance at each other and speak using telepathic communication. Together, they sigh.

My dad is the first to speak. "Because we know him and trust you, fine, but no going upstairs together, UNLESS Kai is there."