Patrol?

(Enjoy the song "I Don't Know Why" by my favorite band, Imagine Dragons! I thought it fit pretty well, so I added it <3

          You awoke to a chilling breeze making its way into the warriors den. Oh, for the love of StarClan... You knew that you'd be assigned to fix that later on. Guess there's no point in trying to fall back asleep. With a reluctant sigh, you quietly pushed yourself up with your forepaws.

As you pushed yourself out of the den entrance, you paused for a moment to let your eyes adjust to the blinding light. A thin layer of snow had fallen last night, just barely enough for your paws to sink in to, but it was enough to give the small amount of sun in the sunrise the ability to blind a cat, and make the air completely bone-chilling.

Once your eyes finally adjusted, you padded forwards to the fresh-kill pile, but to your disappointment you realized it was empty. Guess I'll go hunting then. You looked around for Mistyfoot to see if you could join a patrol.

As if your thoughts had summoned her, Mistyfoot padded from the warriors den right as you looked in its direction. You caught her eye and walked briskly in her direction.

"What is it, (Y/N)? Looking for Hawkfrost?" Her voice was full of sarcasm, but you ignored it. Show them that I can be trusted. "Actually, no. I was wondering if you needed anyone for a hunting patrol."

Mistyfoot's eyes widened as if she were embarrassed. "Oh, uh, sure! I can lead a patrol. I don't think too many warriors are awake yet, though." Her eyes darted around camp, but there wasn't anyone else in the clearing. "We'll take the next few who wake up. I won't bother the dawn patrol when they get back, unless they want to, of course. StarClan knows we need all the extra paws we can get."

The next few moments gave you time to think about what was happening. So she's just going to start being nice to me again? After all that's happened? I wonder if Leopardstar will be the same way... But I doubt it. She's not as forgiving as Mistyfoot is. Hopefully, Mistyfoot's sudden trust will make my Clanmates realize that I'm not a traitor.

It was at that moment that Beetlewhisker and Rippletail emerged from their den. "Hey, there's no prey on the pile. You two are going on patrol with (Y/N) and I!" Mistyfoot half-whispered half-yelled to them. They both looked at each other and shrugged. They quickly padded up to you and Mistyfoot.

The deputy waved her tail, signaling for the patrol to follow her. You trudged through the snow, deeper outside the camp entrance, to a small patch of thin ice in the lake. Mistyfoot turned to face the rest of the patrol. "Leopardstar and I agreed to try something new. We're going to try and keep a section of ice broken throughout leaf-bare, that way we can attempt fishing without having to worry about land prey hibernating in their burrows." She sat down, wrapping her tail over her paws. "Now we just need ideas on how to safely break the ice so no one gets hurt."

You all sat thinking for a moment. Suddenly, you had an idea. "What if we get a long stick or dried reed or something and try to shatter the ice? It may be a little loud, but eventually the fish will swim back to the spot, and we can be waiting for them."

Mistyfoot nodded. "That could work, provided you find something strong enough." She stood up. "Okay, let's look for sticks. If anyone finds something better than that, bring it here. We need to be quick."

You flicked your ears. Quickly, you started in the direction of the ShadowClan border. WindClan doesn't have any trees, so it's pointless to search over there. You searched under the oldest trees on your territory, but it was almost impossible to find anything under the now-melting snow. You realized that if any stick was too small to see under this amount of snow, it wasn't worth using.