Torn

"Too slow. Go again." Brokenstar's voice rang around the dark clearing. You had been training for about a quarter moon in the Dark Forest, and you knew you were getting better. It was to your advantage that you were already a warrior, so you only had to learn to modify your moves, and learn a few new ones, instead of having to learn completely new moves.

Tigerstar had assigned Brokenstar to be your mentor, since he felt that Hawkfrost might be too easy on you. You weren't upset, though. To be honest, you agreed. You wanted to have everything perfect, and you couldn't do that if you weren't being critiqued by someone who wasn't emotionally connected to you.

You ran towards Brokenstar once again, hissing as you balanced on your hind paws, unsheathed your claws, and darted back to the ground. You slid under him, raking your claws along his belly. He yowled and whipped around, his eyes sparking with surprise when you barreled into his chest, sending him flying backwards. With another hiss, you leapt at the dark tabby's throat. You let out a yowl of victory when he finally lay on the ground, grinning.

"I never taught you that move." He panted as he climbed back to his paws.

"I know," you flicked your tail. "but I don't need to learn everything from someone else."

Now it was your turn to be surprised as Tigerstar padded out of the shadows, his dark amber eyes gleaming. "Not bad, (Y/N). But make sure that when you knock him back he doesn't have the ability to fight back. He would have had enough time to claw your throat out first if he was desperate for his life. And make sure that when you're in battle, you don't hesitate to kill." He sat down, laying his scarred tail over his paws. "Try it on me."

Brokenstar stepped back under the dark roots of a tree so only his glowing eyes were visible. One thing you definitely learned when training here was how to become part of the dark. You used the shadows to your advantage, so much that ShadowClan cats even had to learn the different techniques you used in the Dark Forest. It wasn't easy training here, and if you didn't get something right by the third time you were taught, your mentor would give up and you'd be left with the burning feeling that you'd failed that night completely.

You took a deep breath at Tigerstar's words. Not a big deal, you reminded yourself. He's just another cat. I just need to outsmart him. He rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Sometime tonight, (Y/N)."

You ignored his sarcasm and unsheathed your claws. You darted forward, jumping to your hind paws once again. But this time you slipped on a smooth stone stuck in the sandy ground and you twisted your paw. You hissed in agony. Tigerstar took advantage of the situation and cuffed your ear, claws unsheathed, sending small droplets of blood spattering on the ground. Enraged, you fell back to the ground and slid under him, turning over to scratch his underbelly. You felt flesh tear and growled with accomplishment. He spun around and aimed, jaws open, for your neck. You batted him away, rolling to the right.

Tigerstar hissed as he flung himself at you again, but this time you were prepared. Before he could claw your side, you rolled over onto your back and kicked his chest with all your strength, knocking the wind out of him. He growled and attempted to stand, but you ran towards him again and raked your claws along his flank. He yowled and jumped back to his paws, his eyes blazing. You saw a flash of dark fur fly towards you, and before you could register what was happening, Tigerstar stood over you, a smug expression on his face, his claws pressing dangerously close to your throat.

You narrowed your eyes. "Alright, I get it, you won. Now get off." You winced as he pressed his claws deeper into your pelt. "No. I want you to figure out how to get away. A cat from the Clans would be too weak to kill you, but on the off chance they tried, you need to know how to get away. A cat desperate to live will do anything to survive."