Chapter 12

I told Sam what was going on with Ali while we were on the way to her house. I had just turned on her street and looked over at him. Even though he seemed to be sobering up, he hadn't spoken in a while. That was never a good sign.

"Sam?" I say, pulling into Ali's driveway and putting his truck in park. "Sam, just try to stay as calm as possible, ok?"

His eyes shot up to me then, a frown deep on his face. "That's hard, Mal."

I took his hand and I felt him relax just slightly. A small smile fell onto my lips. "Baby, I know you're angry, I am too. But you don't wanna stress Ali out more. Let's just try to help her work this out. Ok?"

He nodded and we both got out of the car, not even bothering to knock on the door as we walk in.

Ali was sitting on the couch with Ella whimpering soft cries in her arms. When she stood up, I could tell she'd been crying for a while because of her puffy eyes. "Thank you guys so much for coming."

"No problem. Can I see her?" I ask before she hands Ella to me. I slowly start to walk around the room, gently bouncing her in my arms. In just a moment, she was quiet and looking up at me.

Ali looked at me and smiled as she wiped her eyes again. "You're a lifesaver."

Sam crossed his arms and turned to her before I could speak. "Ali, what happened? Where is he?"

She looked up at her brother before sitting on the couch again, putting her head in her hands. "He's just been coming home super late recently and leaving really early, so I've been doing all this by myself and I just asked him if he could come home and help me and he blew up. We started arguing and he just left. All I wanted was some help and..."

She started to cry again and Sam sat down next to her, pulling her in his arms as her tears fell onto his shirt. "Shh, it's ok. You know you can always call us for help, right? And mom."

"I know, I just hate interrupting other people's lives just because I can't take care of my own baby on my own." She sits up again and wipes her eyes.

I sit in the rocking chair, Ella fast asleep now. "No, Ali, you're not. And you can take care of her, newborns are just hard. Everyone knows that, don't ever feel bad because you call for help."

Sam stands up and grabs his keys from where I left them by the door. "I'm going to find him."

-----

Sam's POV

After driving around an hour, I finally pull up to the lake and see Brian's truck. He's out on the dock with a fishing pole and a 6 pack, somehow that just makes me more angry.

It only takes a second and I'm right behind him, tempted to push him into the water. "What the hell are you doing here? And you better not give me some pussy ass answer or I swear, I will-"

"I don't know, ok?" He turns to look back at me and drops his pole on the dock. "I don't know what the shit I'm doing anymore!"

I clinch my jaw and shake my head just a bit. "Wrong answer."

He sighs and turns to face me, leaning against the railing. "I just can't deal with life right now. I just need a break."

Mallory's voice behind me almost makes me jump. I should've known she was going to come, though. She knew I'd lose my temper. "A break? Brian, you have a kid now. You're responsible for a whole human life that has your blood running through it. I-"

She was getting loud. I hadn't seen her that angry in a long time. Not even our big argument 2 years ago.

"I don't know if I'm ready to be a Dad yet, Mallory! They'd probably be better off without me!" He yelled back to her and I had to cut in.

It's totally not like me to even care about this kind of stuff, but my sister is my sister and I wasn't gonna let anybody just leave her, and my niece.

I interrupted Mal's rant. "Brian, I know I have no idea what having a kid feels like, but... don't just walk out on them, dude. Ali and I have made it without a dad for a while and even though we're ok, it still sucked." I look over to see Mallory looking at me with an expression that made me want to hug her and never let go. I sigh and give her smile, letting her know I really am ok before looking back to Brian. "They need you and I know you love them, so don't do this shit. So man the fuck up and go back home."

-----

Mallory's POV

A little while later, Sam and I are getting back in the truck at Ali's house after Brian came home. As he starts the engine, I reach over and take his hand. "I know you're not deep and personal like that very often, and I've told you this before, but... You know you have a lot of people that love you and is there for you, right?"

When he smiles and flashes his pearly whites at me, I return the favor. "I know." He squeezes my hand and leans over the center console to kiss my cheek. " I love you, Mally bean."

It's true, it's not often Sam isn't a person to show his emotions, so when these moments came, and they always did, I feel myself falling in love with him even more. Yeah, he's a big goofball 99.999999% of the time, but he's my goofball.

"I love you too, Sam I Am." I replied as he put the truck in reverse, the radio lights being the only thing lighting up his face.