Chapter 16

I arrived at school a little after 8 am and went straight to my room. Luckily, the school's residential office was open and I was able to get the key to my room and head on up.

Sitting down on the bare mattress, I sighed and put my head in my hands. Forever repeating "this was the right thing to do" to myself in hopes of eventually believing it.

------

Sam's Point of View

"Sam, can you come over?" I had just woken up to the sound of my phone ringing. I didn't look at my caller ID, that's why I was confused when it was Mrs. T on the phone.

It took me a moment but I got up and started to slip on some shorts and a tshirt. "Yeah, is something wrong? Is Mallory ok?"

"Not really.. Just come over please." That put some pep in my step.

I was in my truck in mere seconds before I floored it to her house. I was freaked out even more when I realized Mallory's car was gone.

When I got inside, Mallory's parents were in the living room holding a piece of paper. I already knew what it was before they said anything.

"She left, didn't she?" I asked in a low voice as I stood in the doorway.

Her mom only nodded before getting up and handing me the note. I took one look at it before nodding and going back out the door.

It'd only take a minute to go back to my house and tell Mom bye and grab the rest of my stuff, then it'd be a 6 hour drive to Nashville.

--------

Mallory's Point of View

It was around noon when I woke up from the nap I didn't realize I took. I had tears still in my eyes and I assumed this would be the first of many times I would wake up like this.

I couldn't let myself sit here and wallow, so I went down to my car and started unloading things to unpack for the school year. My roommate wouldn't be here for another 2 days, so I was alone.

As I unpacked, I cranked up the country music that I loved so much. Of course, the sad songs didn't help, so I shut it off just as quickly.

----

It was half past 6 when I was finally done unpacking. I slumped down on my bed and stared up at the ceiling, letting the thought of his crooked grin creep back into my head.

Soon after that, I dozed off again, but not for long. I was awakened by the sound of my door being slung open.

When I sat up, I shouldn't have been surprised to see his brown eyes looking back at me, but I was. "Mallory Brooke Taylor, WHAT THE FUCK?!"

I stand up and anger explodes inside of me as I face him. "I should ask you the same question. Sam, I left so you wouldn't come here!"

"Yeah, because that makes sense. Oh wait! No, it doesn't!" He was yelling now, so I did too.

I could feel my brows creased tightly in frustration. "Yes it did! Okay, I wasn't going to let you give u-"

"Here we go again," He threw up his hands and shook his head. "I'm not letting this same damn argument break us up again, Mallory!"

I could see a group of students walk by my open door, so I walked over to shut it. "Sam, I'm not freaking arguing with you! I left for a reason. You weren't supposed to follow me! I left so you wouldn't feel bad about going back to FGCU."

He stepped closer to me and looked deadpan into my eyes. It hurt because I've seen that look before, when we argued last time about what school we were going to and I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I stood my ground.

"So I wouldn't feel bad or YOU wouldn't? Mallory, you didn't once think about my thoughts or feelings on this-" Again, he was yelling and I was close to crying, but I didn't.

I cut him off then and stepped closer to him, another burst of anger releasing in me. "All I did was think of you! Are you kidding me?!"

"No, you didn't! You assumed that you were doing what was best for me and what I wanted. You didn't take me seriously when I told you what I really wanted... Which was to be here... with you." I started to cut him off again, but he held up a finger. "I know you said you didn't wanna keep me from my dream and yes, FGCU was my dream... In high school."

I was intrigued then, so he led me to sit down on the bed as he continued to speak. "But I lived that dream and now it's over. That's when I realized you were my dream. Just you. I don't want anything if it's not with you."

My eyes were filling with tears then and he grinned a bit before taking my hand. "And you make it really hard for me to fulfill that dream when you run away from me."

I let out a light laugh before sighing and crawling into his lap. "I'm sorry, I just..."

"I know. And I love you so much for thinking of me like that, but that's not what I want. That's not what I need. This," He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. "This is what I need. And wherever you are, I'm gonna follow you. Okay?"

"Okay." I nod and smile up at him genuinely believing him this time. I can't help the giggle that slips past my lips.

He raises an eyebrow and looks down at me with a confused grin. "What's so funny?"

"My mom... That's exactly what she said... About me being your dream." I place my hand on his cheek and a light kiss on the other.

He chuckles and nods, closing his eyes. "Yeah, me and Mrs. T have always had that mind thing going."

"Shut up," I laugh and lay my head on his shoulder tiredly.

With a sigh, he glances back at my bed and down to me. "Hate to burst this happy bubble, but I just drove 6 hours to find my runaway girlfriend. So nigga imma schleep now."

He falls back onto my bed and I fall with him, curling up into his arms happily. It's only a quick moment before his breathing slows to a steady pattern and I look up to see his eyes closed. Leaning up a bit, I kiss the corner of his mouth and rest my head just underneath his chin. When I heard his heartbeat, I closed my eyes with a soft smile knowing this is how it was going to be and how it was supposed to be for the rest of my life.

No matter what comes along, we're gonna make it because I'm his dream and he's mine, forever and always.