Extended Family

“Noah.” I say rushing into his arms. Noah wraps his strong arm around me. He lifts me up and spins me around. Once we were safely in the visitors home I could resist. I had to throw my arms around him. Noah felt safe and comfortable. My father was under the impression that I was staying over at Leo’s. I actually have not yet spoke to Leo since the day we last hung out. He didn’t call me and I sure as hell didn’t want to talk to him. Leo was making my life easier by ignoring me.

            “I missed you so much.” Noah whispered in my ear. I smile and he pecks my lips. I missed him even more. I felt compelled to tell him everything that happened, but I stopped myself. I didn’t want him worried at all.

            “I missed you more.” I say. Noah smiles and he kisses me again. He looked better and more happy. Allen leaving was a good thing for him. It was a good thing for everyone at the prison. I take Noah’s hand and we sit on the couch.

            “How was Chicago?” Noah asks me. I wanted to say that it was terrible and I thought I was going die, but I just smile at him.   

            “It was good. Your mom was really nice and understanding.” I say. Noah smiles to himself. He holds my hand and I rest my feet on his lap.

            “So everything went okay then?” He asks me.

            “Yeah, but something happened when I got back. I had to tell Noah that my father knew everything. Noah’s expression became serious and his grip on my hand tightened. I was scared to see how he would react to the news.

            “My father knows about us. He has forbid me from seeing you.” I say with a sad look. Noah sighs and rubs the back of his neck. Something I noticed he did when he was in a tense situation.

            “How—how did he find out?” He asks me.

            “The security tapes. After Allen got fired, my father had to look through all the security tapes.” I tell him. Noah bites his lip.

            “I thought Peter was the security guy?” Noah asks me.

            “He wasn’t working when my father looked at the tapes.” I say. I sigh and look away from Noah. He seemed upset.

            “Then we can’t do this anymore. I don’t want you in trouble.” Noah says. I shake my head at him. No way I was going to let Noah slip away because my daddy says to stay away.

            “It’s okay Noah. We can work around that. I don’t care what my father says. He just doesn’t understand.” I tell him. Noah gives me a half smile. I lean over plant a kiss on his lips.

            “Nora…” I pull away and frown at him. “I don’t want you to get into trouble because of this.” He says. I roll my eyes. I appreciated the fact that he cared, but I could do what I wanted. I was an adult.

            “I’m not a child. I know what I am doing.” I say. I remember when Noah asked me how old I was. He thought I was at least twenty-one. When I told him I was nineteen he was a little more than surprised. Noah was twenty-five and we were nearly six years apart. I think Noah has gotten used to it by now though.

            “I know that Nora.” He mutters. I did not want to fight with Noah so we both just drop the subject. Fighting with Noah would get nowhere. The important thing is that I got the message and money to Noah’s mother. I may have made a few enemies, but that was okay.