Chapter Four

The next day when Sherlock came downstairs, his mother was immersed in the morning paper. Sherlock popped a slice of bread in the toaster and looked for a yogurt in the fridge. Unfortunately, the only one he could find was apricot, so he went without.

He was about to make himself tea when Mycroft came downstairs, slamming the kitchen door open so hard it ricocheted off the wall back towards him, almost hitting him in the face.

"Where is it?" he hissed menacingly.

Sherlock didn't look up from making his tea.

"SHERLOCK! Where is it?!" Mycroft demanded.

"Where is what, brother dear?" Sherlock said, feeling stupid because, for once, he hadn't a clue what was going on.

"MY LAPTOP!" Mycroft boomed, his voice resonating around the room ominously.

"Keep it down, Mycroft!" scolded Mrs. Holmes, folding up her paper neatly and placing on the table. "Sherlock, do you know where his laptop is?"

"No. For once I am just as ignorant as everybody else," Sherlock said matter-of-factly, not even looking up from the work surface where he was viciously squeezing a tea bag.

"I know you took it! I could have sworn someone was in my room last night and now my laptop has disappeared!" Mycroft continued shrilly. "You probably wanted to message that Sophie girl whose number you wanted."

"Mycroft, I don't have your laptop," Sherlock sighed, adding a spoonful of sugar methodically into his tea. "For one thing, I know you need to have three dozen different passwords to access everything and I have better things to do than that, so why would I take it?"

"It's probably where you left it," Mrs Holmes added helpfully.

Mycroft's face contorted into an even more refined scowl and he stormed out.

Sherlock stirred his tea and sat down at the kitchen table. Out of habit, he opened the newpaper his mother had abandoned and flicked through. He was on page 6 when he saw it.

MOTHER AND BABY DISAPPEAR FROM LONDON HOME

Janice Norman and her 15 month old baby boy Hector disappeared from their home, 56 Burrel Street last night. Police investogators have confirmed a disappearance as an incriminating note, pictured above, was found pinned to the door. Police have urged anyone with relevant information to come forward. Family members are distraught and are desperate for Janice and Hector to return home.

Then there was a picture of a note. The letters were cut out of several different documents. It read:

S & S - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE - THE KEY TO FINDING THEM IS ONLY REVEALED WHEN YOU HAND YOURSELF OVER TO ME. YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME.

WEJ Whpvofgf Lowqhj eih Sztkzi Herti Wyshtszr - Rei Vpfcig Gpvge, (Zrh Rpaveo To), Csihoy

Hrnrnxatvv ;)

A disappearance and a code, Sherlock thought to himself. Fun.

If only he knew how wrong he was.