Chapter Fourteen

They paid the driver and stepped onto the almost deserted street. The rickety little gate of 1 Albert Place swung backwards and forwards like a pendulum in the mild October breeze.

Sherlock pulled a small knife out of his boot, wielding the tiny weapon as he slowly approached the door.

He reached for the handle and turned. It was locked. Shaking his head in annoyance, he began to kick the door violently.

"Sherlock! Stop!" Sophie hissed, dragging him away from the door. "They'll know we're coming!"

"They probably already do," Sherlock said, indicating to a security camera hidden behind a small gnome that was focused on them.

Sherlock promptly return to kicking the door.

"Sherlock!" Sophie cried indignantly.

Pushing her colleague out of the way, she made pulled a small hairpin out of her hair and inserted it into the keyhole.

"This is called the sensible way," she said condescendingly.

Within seconds, a series of clicks could be heard and Sophie stepped away, satisfied.

"There," she said as the door swung back to reveal a shabby hallway.

Their feeling of elation did not last long; as soon as they stepped over the threshold, a cold dread enveloped them.

"The note said downstairs, so we are probably looking for a basement or cellar, " Sophie said, her voice wavering. "I doubt the kidnapper lets his victims lounge about on the sofa watching EastEnders."

They soon found a small door in the side of the stairwell that opened up into a cupboard that had been converted into a downward passage.

"I'll go first," Sherlock said, descending down a steep series of steps. Sophie followed close behind, leaving the door open - just in case.

Sherlock kept his knife out but soon they could see nothing and the light from the hallway faded. Sophie switched on her phone and the dim light illuminated their way. Finally the found themselves in an open space.

Suddenly, they heard the flick of a switch and the room was filled with a sickly yellow light.

Before their eyes were around twenty-five people who all looked scared senseless. At the sight of Sophie and Sherlock, they cowered away.

"It's okay," Sophie said. "We won't hurt you, don't worry."

"Oh it's not you they're worried about daaahhhling," said a voice.

A man with grey hair and bright blue eyes emerged from behind the crowd of people.

"I know you," Sherlock said, frowning.

"Well, I'm the kidnapper, duh," said the old man. "My name's Charles, but most know me as the invisible man."

"I can see you," Sherlock said. "You're not invisible."

"No, but you never see me coming," Charles said.

"No, you certainly don't," said Sophie.

She had gone pale and looked as though she were about to be sick.

"Why? What are you doing this for?" she continued, aghast.

"Sophie?" Sherlock asked suspiciously. "Do you know this guy?"

"I'm afraid so," Sophie said.

"How?" Sherlock demanded.

"This is Charles Hudson. He's my great uncle."