Chapter Nine

Failed.

That was what his agent had done. All they had had to do was knock the two of them unconscious and bring them to him at the other address.

But when he found out that one of the pair was being taken into hospital, his bad mood abandoned him. Maybe this elaborate rouse could come to an end. He would have done it the simple way anyway, but, oh, how he loved the thrill of always being one step ahead and watching his enemies try to catch up... It was his salvation; it was what kept him insane.

Insane. The word was a title of superiority to him. Insane meant he was not of the same stupid mind of the average being. If being insane meant he wouldn't be part of a rabble of idiots, then he'd rather be insane.

But still, the pair were dangerous. Every second they couldn't crack his code was a second they became 'closer' and he couldn't risk a bond between them.

He'd made the puzzle relatively easy for them; just tricky enough to make it fun, just easy enough to get it over with quickly.

He knew it was only the two that could solve it. Even the thousands of readers of one of the most popular national newspapers couldn't crack his code. But only one of his enemies could live on.

You're too kind, he thought to himself. Way too kind! It will be your undoing.

But he had to focus on the task ahead. Now one of them was more vulnerable than ever, his chance had finally arisen to eradicate the pair once and for all.

The future depended on it.