24th ツ

24th

What on earth had happened to him?

I incredulously stared at John Brooks, whose hair was muddled and looked like he hadn't combed it for days. I also noticed that his tie was a little bit crooked, and he got those deep bags under his eyes. A faint smile was kept on his face, and I was certain that every viewer knew that he was noticeably forcing himself to be okay.

“Mr. Brooks, is it true that you're going to accept the Ms. Frost's proposal?” asked one of the reporters who was intently following him.

“No, there is no truth behind those humors,” he confirmed.

I immediately exhaled in relief, releasing the thumb I was biting. Then I realized that I shouldn't be exhaling for that. What was I even doing? Logically speaking, John should accept Amanda Frost’s proposal. Amanda could save him. She was right for him.

“Then do you have any other plans to keep the business going?” asked the reporter again.

John stopped from walking, and faced the camera. “Yes, the business is still hanging on. We made some new investments in the past weeks.”

“How about that girl...” the reporter tried asking again, but John cut him off by holding his hand in front of him.

“Let's not talk about her,” he said, avoiding the camera and heading on his way. His security team soon took over, and the news about him ended just like that.

I owed him one for taking the entire spotlight, and saving me from the misery of having to face reporters every day. He specifically asked them not to interfere with my private life, and made sure that no reporter would get the chance to peer into my privacy. He had those two or three men-in-blacks outside my apartment to keep me from those meddlesome reporters. And two months after, they were still there and following me around.

This was the last glint of the spotlight that I had once taken.

For me, it all ended that day. But for him, it was still going on. A couple of months after that day, he was still being questioned about every single thing. And right now, he was caught up in another mess, as the only daughter of a prestigious family had taken a liking to him.

That would be Amanda Frost.

That girl had offered to help him if he’d agree to marry her. She did it on live television, while doing one of her regular talk shows. Everyone swooned and thought that it was all romantic—girl saving a guy from falling six feet down the slump. But all I got was goosebumps and hefty sighs, feeling that my existence became less by the minute. What could a girl like me offer to him now?

Drag him into the normal world, Sandy's words echoed in my head.

And then, what? Make him lose everything he had thoroughly kept until now? That was something that even my twisted conscience would not allow.

I turned off the TV, and lay my back on the sofa. Turning to my side, I saw that velvet box again. Three days later, I hadn't even said a word to Aaron, nor answer his second attempt of proposing marriage to me.

Two months of nothing but complete lost in your own thoughts made me think about everything that had happened in my life. It was as if I was reminded of what had really occurred, rather than what I thought was happening. For one, I thought about what Aaron did and how I made a fool out of myself for even considering to forgive him and take him again. He was nothing but a total douche-bag. I made myself a fool once. And I would never consider making it twice.