7th ツ

7th

"You didn't invite anyone who'll recognize me, right?" I asked him for the hundredth time by now. His ears might already be burning from my endless inquiries, but I didn't care. First thing was first. I needed to make sure that I wouldn't be recognized by anyone.

"Yes, all of them are my business colleagues," John patiently answered.

Well, I already figured that one out. I was pretty certain that no one from our common circle would go to John "Nerd" Brooks' wedding. It was a huge, like, all the way from top of the highest mountain favor that I was going to attend his wedding. And not to mention a bonus that I would be playing the bridal part. Well, he must have gone handsome over the years. But really, sometimes, when I looked at him, I was still seeing a bow tie in place of the neckties he now used.

"No media whatsoever. I can't afford to be the cover of the newspaper tomorrow morning," I said to John, who was on the other line, twisting the hotel phone in my hand. If I would be the cover of the newspaper, I would like it to be someone else—not a replacement bride.

Like for example: "Kayla Wilson Saves The World"

"Of course. It is a private wedding, after all. I'll make sure of that," he replied.

"Good, as long as you're doing it right," I said, before hanging up. I put down the phone on the table and lay myself down on the sofa once more. After a while, I heard that knock on the door again.

"Miss, are you ready?" a courteous voice asked from outside.

"I'll be there in a minute," I said as I continued sulking on the sofa.

I was still refusing to come out for about fifteen minutes by now, and the wedding was supposed to start in about five more. The pounding on the door became heavier, as the one who was supposed to pick me up was probably worried that he would be cut off his job if he wouldn't bring me on time.

I pulled my legs up and placed it on the table. I gathered my wedding gown and pulled it above my legs. No one was around anyway, and I was starting to feel uncomfortable with this big dress that hovered around my body. My elbow suddenly nudged something and it fell on the floor. I looked at the scattered magazine on the floor. And as if it was directly speaking to me, it was unfolded to the horoscope section.

Try to reach out a little further than usual today. If you're feeling low, all you need to do is to explore new territory and do something unusual. Your urge to resolve things will be rewarded richly today.

I forced back a laugh with the last part. I realized that I could be rich if I would go on with this wedding for real. We didn't sign any prenuptial agreement. The offer was tempting, but I had no plan to take it. I just wanted a real wedding and a real husband for myself.

Was it that hard for my earnest wish to be granted?

The pounding on the door grew heavier. And by now, the crowd must be wondering where the bride was. Well, if they really wanted an answer, here she was—eating a bar of chocolate and chilling out. I flipped the pages of the magazine some more, happily sipping the orange juice that was delivered to me a while ago.

"Miss, you're needed downstairs," the voice said for the third time by now.

I let out a long sigh and picked myself up. I checked myself in the mirror just to make sure that I was still perfect. Well then, just a little more and all this madness would be over. I pushed my phone inside my gown, squeezing it in my chest. Whoever invented the wedding gowns should have thought that, sometimes, the bride needed a place to put her phone.