Chapter 1

JASON

(flashback)

The war was finally over after all of our struggles and fights. The seven of us had miraculously survived including Nico.

Piper kissed me and I stared into her eyes, getting lost in the beautiful kaleidoscope colors. Percy hugged Annabeth and Frank, Hazel. Leo stood there gazing up into the stars with nothing but pain and longing in them. I broke away from Piper and walked over to him, patting him on the back.

He turned to me and grinned his lopsided grin.

"We won, Jason." He said and I nodded.

"I know." I looked around through the growing darkness.

He stood near the trees with Hazel now, talking to her. His skin was pale and his black hair was down to his shoulders.

He hugged his sister and held her hand and kissed her on the cheek.

I smiled at him and nodded at him. He saluted to me with two fingers and turned back to Hazel. She nodded and walked to Frank, leaving him alone.

I watching him watch Percy for a mere fleeting moment, hardness in his eyes. He knew he would never get that chance that he always wanted.

Then he caught my eyes, dark against sky blue. If his mouth twitched into a smile then I missed it. I watched him melt into the shadows, not noticed by the one he cared for most.

That was the last time any of us saw him.

That was the boy I occasionally saw in my dreams and woke up screaming his name, wishing for him to come back.

Nico.