Chapter 28

>Aaron<

     There are times when you’re completely frozen. Nothing makes sense. Your mind is stuck on one thought. It goes around and around in your mind. There is nothing you can do. You don’t speak, you barely breathe, and moving is impossible. Everything around you disappears or seems unimportant. Your eyes rest on one thing, and nothing else matters. You hear without registering it. You hear little.

   My eyes rested on the form of Quinn. Dead. One word held such complexity. How? I heard the sobs of Anna. I knew she would be curled next to James who would be holding her protectively. But, you couldn’t protect anyone from death, and the misery it brought. Sadira would be frozen on the spot tears on her cheeks. Sam was still by Quinn, dazed. As for me I fell to my knees. Over and over I heard,”Why?” I realized that it was I who spoke this word. 

I just met her. She saved my life, why couldn’t I do the same? How did I get to attached to someone I just met? How did she slip through my fingers?

Dawn would arrive soon. They would leave me. My brother would coax Anna to sleep. He , himself, wouldn’t. Sadira would sleep. Sam would leave. He would run into the forest, and work out his anger. I would sit here. In this trance. Nothing would wake me. But, I would sleep. In the middle of the day. Drowziness would overcome me. They would check on me, but let me be alone. I would cry. Then I would vow revenge.

    But for now, silence and grief owned the clearing.