Aspasia: Prologue

Quinn sat in the trees. She was balanced perfectly over the road. Quinn was waiting for some rich person to cross underneath her. She was a professional robber. But, not a typical robber. Everything she stole went to the peasants of where she lived, keeping only a little to herself. She was at the moment holding a slender sword. It was one of two. The other was in its sheath on her back. The sheaths were black and crossed on her back. So they made a black 'X'. They also crossed in the front. Therefore it was tight against her shirt and skin. On the front where they crossed was a black buckle so the harness slipped off easily. But, they blended into the dark shirt she wore. As well as dark jeans, and brown leather knee-high boots. Casting her mind-reading senses she was able to sense a movement nearby. Quinn slid the sword back into its place. She crawled forward on the branch. “Aspasia,”a fairy squealed in her ear. The fairies called her that. She guessed it was because they closely resembled each other. Aspasia had been a princess from Krow. But, she had disappeared years ago. Both had long blonde hair, and blue eyes. But, Quinn wore her wavy hair in a ponytail with her bangs cascading over her left eye. Over her eyes she wore a black mask with a satin tie in the back. Quinn waved her hand absently shooing the fairy. The blue fairy disappeared into a rain drop. That was what the water fairies did while exiting.  They would then disappear into the ground. Under the ground was a society of fairies.

            Quinn's blue eyes searched the road looking for whoever was coming. When the person did come she slid back into a sitting position. Quinn was a bold robber going after the rich. But, this was too much. The person slid into the forest. Quinn followed silently, jumping from tree to tree. The person stopped, and so did Quinn. She sat in a tree watching silently to see what would happen. The person she had been following stood in the meadow oblivious.

           Princess Annette stood in the meadow. She held leather bound book. Quinn recognized Annette by her red hair. The red hair glowed in the sun. Princess Annette's pink dress swayed in the gentle wind. Princess Annette opened the book her green eyes tracking the words. Quinn groaned I'll be here a while she thought. Quinn observed Annette's lips slowly and quietly pronouncing the words. Quinn gasped as an orange and black striped cat appeared out of nowhere. Quinn watched as the cat rounded on the princess. Quinn cursed quietly; if the princess got hurt by the cat and someone found out that she was there Quinn would be in trouble. She was the only one around. Quinn whipped her swords out of their place. Jumping out of the tree, Quinn landed on the ground facing the meadow and took off at a sprint to Annette.   

           The cat turned angrily. It pulled itself into a position to pounce. Annette stood still a look of horror on her face. The cat turned to Quinn as she burst into the meadow. 

                “Move!” Quinn shouted to Annette. Annette stood still. The cat turned on her again. This time it pounced at Annette. Quinn opened her hand. Her palm facing the cat, it stopped on mid- air. With a flick of her wrist the cat was thrown into the forest. ”If you want to live, Princess, you have to move.” Annette turned to Quinn.

           “How..............how............did you do that,” Princess Annette stuttered.

            “Forget it! Where did that cat come from?”

            “It’s a tiger. I read it from a......a book and it just came here.”

            “Well read it back!”Quinn said.

            “I'll try. You got to keep it away from me.” Annette said. The tiger leaped from the forest. It sprinted to attack Quinn. It threw itself at her. Quinn ducked the tiger. It landed on the ground and spun quicker then Quinn. It threw itself into Quinn. She was smashed into the ground. One sword clambered onto the ground. With the other sword she slashed at the cats’ side. It howled as the sword cut into it. Quinn looked at Princess Annette as she read hastily. Standing shakily to her feet she faced the tiger. It jumped at her she twisted out of the way. Its claws sunk into her hand as she dropped the sword. The cat turned and seemed to grin. Quinn dove for the sword. She managed to grab it. The cat had jumped. Its claws sunk into her side and flipped her onto her stomach. Quinn cried out. She pressed her hand onto her side.  The tiger pinned her to the ground. The tiger sunk its claws into Quinn. Quinn screamed as pain shot through her body. Using the sword in her hand she embedded into its side. The cat fell off her. Quinn let go of the sword leaving it in the cat’s side. She pressed both hands onto her side. It was too late. She had lost too much blood. Everything was hazy. The tiger disappeared into the air. Princess Annette stared at her tears running down her face. Quinn wanted to reassure her but no words came.

       “Don't,” a voice said. “Just listen. I am here, because I need your help. I can't explain everything now. But, Annette will.” Quinn blinked and was standing. Quinn looked around and saw herself. The body of Quinn was lying on her back. Her shoulders were bleeding. Annette stood over her. Quinn turned to where she heard the voice. She gasped at the women standing next to her. The woman was literally glowing. Quinn could hardly tell a thing about her. The light was blinding. Quinn turned her face. “A long time ago a wicked wizard king kidnapped a couple kids. He wanted to take their powers, like yours, and use them for himself. Annette will help you find them.  It sounds odd, I know. Trust Princess Annette and protect her with your life. You will not remember this.” The golden women took a step back and started to disappear. Quinn stood alone in the forest. Then a voice began to sing:

                     Queen of Heaven

                 Queen of Hell

                 Stand by me

                And all will be well