Chapter Nine

~Dakota~

My father allowed me to go out into the forest tonight to meet Jax. I wandered in the woods and looked up at the sky. The moon had lit up the entire forest through the trees. It was almost a full moon, and it was very beautiful. Especially since the sky was clear of clouds. As I walked through the woods, I started to feel anxious. I was excited yet nervous to meet up with Jax. I couldn't stop thinking about what we would do when we meet, or who else would be with him. I smiled as I walked over a log. I then heard a twig snap behind me and turned around quickly. Since my cat had come out, I'm a lot more sensitive to sound and light. I can see pretty damn well in the dark, my hearing feels like I can hear a bunny eat grass from five miles away, and my smell is also pretty good as well. I can smell the water from the lake that's about two miles into the woods, and I'm not even going in that direction. I heard another twig break and now I was on alert. I tried using my senses to help me. My nose smelled something familiar. It was amazing and when I used my night vision, I saw Jax in wolf form hiding behind a few trees. I breathed a sigh of relief and giggled.

"Jax, don't you try and scare me like that!" He shifted back and slipped on some shorts as he chuckled.

"I wanted to see how fast you'd be able to figure out it was me. I'm glad the first thing you did was use your sense of smell. Very smart." He smiled and he pulled me into a hug. I sighed and took in a breath of his scent. It was mesmerizing. He growled lowly in approval and pulled me closer to himself. I snuggled into his warmth and kissed his chest softly. I heard his growl and I giggled.

"I missed you." I sigh as Jax hugged me.

"I missed you too." I looked up at him and kissed his cheek gently. He kissed my forehead and I sighed. Jax led us over to a big tree and we sat down beneath it. He, however, decided to place me on his lap the last second and I laughed at him. He chuckled as he pulled me closer to him. I laid my head on his shoulder as we stared at the moon. Jax grew a bit uneasy and tugged at his hair a bit.

"Jax? What's wrong baby?" He shivered and growled in approval.

"There's something we need to discuss." He was serious, and it made me feel like I did something wrong.

"Don't worry, I feel your panic darling. You haven't done anything wrong. What I'm talking about concerns the full moon." I sighed in relief and nodded.

"I'm assuming you're going to ask for me not to be around you."

"On the contrary, I'm actually going to need you with me so I don't end up killing someone." I looked at him with wide eyes before he started to explain.

"Before I knew you were my mate, whenever the full moon would come around, I would have to isolate myself to prevent from going crazy. However, now that I know I have a mate, my wolf will think of doing nothing but wanting to protect you. Anything could happen to you, and I can't let that happen. And it will never happen as long as I am around. I can promise you that." I smiled at him but grew worried.

"Your wolf won't hurt me?" He kissed my forehead and pulled me closer to him.

"No. He wouldn't dare." I nodded and we sat in comfortable silence before I started falling asleep on Jax.

'Dakota? Where are you?' I heard my brother in a mind link.

'I'm with Jax in the forest. I'm safe, I can assure you.' I practically heard the relief in his voice.

'Okay. That's good. Dad says if you want him to come inside he can, just don't do anything you'd regret.' I chuckled.

'Yes, sir.' I gave him my best solute voice and he laughed.