Chapter Two

"Have you betrothed yet?" Tsunade asks.

"We ninja are married to the darkness," I reply.

She pushes her glasses up on her nose, eyes glowing with several variations of worry and distress. I wonder why she is so discontent at the moment. But, she calmly evades my question. It appears that Lady Tsunade is hellbent on discussing marriage with a sixteen year old.

"What about Neji? He studies hard, he's strong, and he's attractive!" Tsunade snaps her red nails.

"He's betrothed to TenTen, milady..." I try not to glare.

"Kiba?"

"Nobuko and he already married," I pinch the bridge of my nose.

Agitation is beginning to set in, ensnaring the both of us in her trap. Lady Tsunade takes a deep breath, crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair. I simply stand in front of her large desk, toying with the headband I have tied around my thigh.

"Your clan was a prosperous one, Ichiki. Along with the Uchiha clan, the Kuran clan was one of the most powerful in the village. Mikoto and Chika originally planned that you and Sasuke wed one another," Tusnade explains.

"He's my rival. Nothing more and nothing less," I feel my eyes activate.

"Put those things away! Gosh, I didn't mean to upset you."

Closing my eyes and finding my centre, I steel my nerves and take a series of deep breaths. Imagining the anger and fear flowing out of me in waves of red chakra, I concentrate and build up my own chakra. When I open my eyes, Lady Tsunade surprises me. She's no longer sitting in her comfy chair, but standing directly before me. Before I can blink, she pulls me into a tight hug. My face nests in her neck as she softly runs her hands down my back and hums just as delicately.

Since my parents died, Lady Tsunade has been more than kind to me. She has become like a second mother, a peaceful reminder that I am worth being loved. I melt into her warm embrace, wishing that this short moment could be eternal. We give release resigned sighs and pull away from one another, her eyes dancing with the threat of tears as she holds me at arms distance. There is a hard lump in my throat that I cannot deny as I see her on the verge of sobbing.

"You've become a beautiful young woman," she smiles, shaking her head.

"As have you," I chuckle.

"Ichi, please consider marriage. You do not deserve to be so lonely at such a tender age," she sighs.

I nod, not sure how else to respond.

To whom should I wed? Is marriage worth it? Would I make a proper bride?

"What about another jinchûriki?" Lady Tsunade muses.

"Naruto and Hinata wed this afternoon," I giggle.

"What? Are all the eligible men in this forsaken village already taken?!" she frowns.

"I'm fine with my clan fading into memory, milady. History is made from ruin and it allows future generations to learn," I bow.

"Not happening," two voices say.

Lady Tsunade looks past me to see who is agreeing with her, a frown etched into her expression. As for me, I needn't turn to know who he is. I'd know the voice of my rival anywhere.

"Her clan is not the only powerhouse who faces extinction. I am the last Uchiha. Therefore, it is my duty to revive my clan."

"You could've had this mentality sooner, Uchiha. Sakura and Ino would've been happy volunteers," I smile and turn to face him.

"Their families are small and lack power. It would insult my family's history to accept their blood into our noble line," Sasuke glares.

"So... Killing your brother who was just looking out for you didn't already tarnish your family name?" I shrug.

"Trying to turn me away by using my anger... Just what I expected," he closes his eyes and clenches his fists.

When he's agitated like this, he almost looks like the little twelve year old that I wanted to marry... No, Ichiki! No walking down Memory Lane! You're not that same little ten year old anymore! You're a sixteen year old woman!!!

"You have my blessing," Lady Tsunade mumbles, turning her back on us.

I can see your reflection... I know you're smirking!

"Lady Ichiki, why do you insist on letting your power die?" Sasuke frowns.

"I'm a girl with a thirteen tailed cat demon sealed inside my body. I'm allowed to be a pussy," I bat my eyes.

"You mastered the demon! You even use her chakra to perform several jutsu!"

"IM NOT GOING TO BE ANYTHING BUT YOUR RIVAL! Our clans hated each other and that is the way that it shall remain! If you seek power, I suggest the red haired cousin of Naruto. Karin shares the same special chakra that the wife of the fourth Hokage, that should be enough to feed your appetite!"

"Kuran, do not raise your voice in my office!" Lady Tsunade turns to face me, waving her index finger.

"My deepest apologies, milady, but I still decline the Uchiha's offer."

"You reject power beyond your imagination?" Sasuke scoffs.

"I reject a loveless marriage with the man who gloated over the grave of my twin sister and refused to swallow his pride to ask for help!"

"YOUR JUTSU INJURIED ME MORE! HOW WAS THAT HELPING?!"

"CALM DOWN YOU PANSY! IT WAS ON THE LOWEST SETTING!"