Chapter 9: The thirst for blood

The small house was silent. Elizabeth was finally asleep and David had begun to drift into his own dreams. 

He comforted her from the nightmares that plagued her mind. That's all they were, nightmares. No possession, no evil, just nightmares created by the gruesome murders. At least that's what David thought. 

Little did he know that those "nightmares" were about to become reality. 

Natalie was out for blood, especially Elizabeth's and the only way to get to her was take the pathetic detective protecting her. 

He was strong, there was no doubt about that. He didn't believe so his mind was blocked, like a firewall in a computer.

However, nothing was too strong for Natalie. 

She weaved into the head of the detective like a snake stoking its prey.

The dream was simple and sweet for David. He was dreaming of Elizabeth. There was a crush, there was no denying that. She was happy and unafraid. There wasn’t any fear or nightmares. She was at peace.

David could see it in her face; the happiness that was spread across it. Then like a switch the dream turned dark. Elizabeth’s face began to morph into something not of this world.

It was evil and scary.

“Oh, you love me? How can you love me? I am nothing!” The dark Elizabeth roared with anger.

“Elizabeth? What is happening?” David asked.

No words came out of the mouth of the creature. In a blink of an eye the dark being lunged at David.

Then he woke up.

Sweat was rolling down his face and his breathe was coming out unevenly.

“What the hell was that?” He asked himself.

David rose from the chair and exited the room. He didn’t want to wake Elizabeth, who was finally having a good night’s rest.

David didn’t feel himself. His balance was off and he could feel the area around him spinning.

Just get down the stairs he mentally thought.

That task was easier said than done. With everything moving around him, he was surprised that he didn’t fall.

Finally at the bottom of the steps, David wobbly made his way to the couch.

“Sleep, I need sleep.” He told himself.

David began to drift, he was exhausted and his body was off.

“You should have listened to her!” A voice echoed.

David was jolted awake.

“Who’s there?” He said was he tried to stand from the sofa. However that was nearly impossible.

His body felt as if he had a whole six pack of beers. He couldn’t stand still and the whole house seemed as if it was spinning around him.

“Haha, look at you! You are a pathetic and weak!” The voice rang out.

The more David struggled the weaker he became.

“Who a-are y-y-you?” David could feel the dizziness over take him.

“Shh, fall unconscious. Do it!”

David could no longer stand. With every passing second the weight was getting stronger and stronger.

“You are strong. But not strong enough!” The voice yelled.

David went plummeting to the floor; hitting his head on a nearby coffee table on the way down. The darkness was going to take over. David could no longer stay awake.

“This might hurt just a little.”

David began to seize as his body was overtaken by Natalie. The thrashing and kicking was uncontrollable, he was strong.

“He will not give up!” Yelled Natalie.

“Keep trying!” It was him, he was going to make sure Natalie breached the impenetrable firewall.

“He is strong!” The struggle was behind Natalie’s voice as she spoke.

“NO! DO NOT STOP!”

Then all went still. David’s body had ceased. Natalie was in control.