Chapter 8: Paranoid

She was fidgety. Twiddling her fingers as if they were her life support. The slightest sound ticked her off. She was completely paranoid.

"Elizabeth what are you doing here?" Asked Jennifer.

"I have to work, that's why I'm here. I have to make a living. Pay bills. But you wouldn't know that because daddy still puts five thousand dollars in your bank account." Elizabeth breathed in a harsh tone.

"Elizabeth you don-"

"Leave me alone Jen."

Jennifer walked off. Elizabeth was still sitting in the work room; to afraid to walk out.

A couple of minutes passed by before that detective came in.

"What are you doing here detective? I thought the case was over? We don't need you here." She said to him.

"You do need me here, by the looks of it."

"What do you mean?" Elizabeth asked in a stern voice.

"When was the last time you had any sleep?" He asked her.

"Two days ago." She whispered.

"Okay, you need to go home."

"NO! Uhm...no. I. Do. Not. Need. To. Go. Home. Do you understand?"

"Elizabeth, look at you. Your eyes are dark and gloomy and you are living off of caffeine! I'm taking you home." The detective was startled at what Elizabeth said next.

"No I can't! She'll find me and torture me! I can't sleep. She can get into my dreams!" The scream was loud and chilling. The poor women thrashed from her chair and ran to the nearest window. The detective grabbed her as quick as lightning and held the screaming body still.

"Nurses! Come please!" As soon as the words escaped his mouth three nurses came rushing in, including Jen.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Just give her a shot! Please?!" The look on the detective's face was pleading. Jennifer emerged a syringe from her white lab coat and plunged it into Elizabeth's neck. The thrashing nurse calmed and her body went limp.

"What happened?" Asked Jennifer once more.

"She was talking and then she went out of control. It was like a light switch went off." Replied the detective.

"Get her home, please? She needs rest."

The detective picked up the still nurse and walked out the door.

*

The crystal blue sky and the white puffy clouds looked angelic. The warm breeze felt comforting on her face. She was on a white sandy beach with the water so clear. She could almost reach it, just a couple of more steps and she would be free. Then it went cold. The sky turned a grayish color, almost like decaying skin. The water was stained with red, as if a thousand people were bleeding into the sea. She could here a laugh; taunting her. Then the scene went black.

Elizabeth woke from her horrid dream. Her whole body was drenched in sweat. How did she get home? She heard a light snore come from the corner of her room. There on the soft plush arm chair was the detective himself. Did he bring her here?

"David?"

The detective stirred but did not wake.

Elizabeth slowly climbed out of her bed and tiptoed to her bathroom. She quietly closed the door and locked it with a click.

Her tub looked inviting. She stripped of her sweaty clothes and turned the faucet.

The warm water was marvelous; she could feel her muscles loosen under the soft droplets. This is what she needed; a time to relax and not think about everything that recently happened.

Her eyes were closed and she could feel herself drifting off into sleep. She quickly shook her head and opened her eyes. There in front of her was a little girl covered in blood.

"Sissy, why did you kill mommy and daddy?" The little girl whispered.

"No! NO! Get out of my head!"

"Why did you kill me?"

"STOP!" Screeched the frightened nurse. She snapped her eyes closed and after what seemed like hours she opened them.

There was nothing. Elizabeth dropped to the floor of the tub and sobbed.

"Why!? WHY!?"

Just then her bathroom door was busted open.

"Elizabeth?" It was the detective.

He pulled back the curtain and saw a scared women. Elizabeth didn't care if he saw her naked, she just wanted this nightmare to stop.

"Elizabeth, what- are you-?" he couldn't even finish his sentence.

The detective turned the water off and carried a soaked, naked, and scared women to her bed.

"Elizabeth, please sleep." He said to her.

"I can't. She comes in my dreams! I just can't."

All David did was nod. He didn't know if he should believe this helpless women. He didn't know if she was going crazy herself.

Elizabeth didn't remove herself from David's arms. She could careless what she was wearing, or rather what she wasn't wearing. She didn't care if she looked like some crazy person, all she wanted was the warmth of another human being comforting her from all the madness that she had endured.

Slowly but surely she fell asleep.