Passenger

A few weeks had gone by. That night was never brought up or spoken about. It seemed to have been put under the table. Each day that had gone by, I became more and more enthralled with Lulu. The way her hair fell and how her smile seemed to make my heart throb. I knew, I wanted her in my life, I just needed to show her somehow.

I headed to my mother's favorite florist. I bought a bouquet of roses, sunflowers, lavender, and other hints of flowers, with the rest of the money I had earned from the lumber yard. When the perfect flower piece was done, I hurried to Lulu's front door and knocked on the screen once more. I wore the suit my mama had made for me. The grey jacket complimented my dark hair and blue eyes. My shoes were shined and I wore my best hat to outline my clean cut image. Lulu opened the door, surprised to see me.

"Wes' what are you doin' here? You don' work to'ay."

"I brought you som'n. I thought it would look nice in your window." She opened the screen door and grasped the flowers, slightly caressing my hand on accident.  Her mouth was opened as if to say something, but no words left her mouth.

"I was thinkin' 'bout you. I wanted to do som'n nice for you."

"I don' know what ta say Wes'."

"Say why."

"What?"

"Tell me why you won' give me a chance."

"Wes' I just can't."

" Is it 'cause I'm stupid? Is there someone else? Was it 'cause I ain't your type?" She stepped out of the doorway and placed a hand on my cheek.

"No Wes' it ain't any o' that. I just cain't alright. Thank ya for the flowers. They're beautiful." She smiled and turned to leave.

"I really like you, Lulu." She stopped and tilted her head back towards me.

"I have since I met you. A few weeks ago, that little wish of seeing a star up close came true. The star opened that door and she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  She was just som'n else. You was just som'n else.You ain't like no one I've met. You listen and are kind. Your smile pulls at my heartstrings ma'am. Even if you are hot headed sometimes, I know it ain't 'cause you tryin' to be mean. It's 'cause you don' want to get close to people." She looked back at me with tears in her eyes.

"Wes' please."

"I ain't a leavin' without an answer."

"Wes' I just can't alright!"

"Why can't you? Why do you push people away? Why won't you open up to me?"

"I have opened up to you!" she screamed.

"Not all the way. You tol' me the surface. You ain't tellin' me how you feel." I raised my voice slightly.

"Go home Wes'."

"Now, I ain't a smart man. I ain't got money, and all my life, I have been lettin' people walk all over me, tellin' me what to do. I ain't a man if I'm a pushover. I'm tired of bein' the passenger of my life. I've always sat aside an' let everyone do things for me, tellin' me what I should an' shouldn't do. Not anymore. Lulu tell me why. I ain't leavin'. Call the police if ya have ta,  but I ain't leavin." Tears streamed down her face. Watching this, a pain started to tug at my chest.

"You wanna know why I cain't be with you? It's 'cause I'm dyin' Wes'. There ain't no cure, there ain't no remedy. If you gave me your heart, all I would do is break it. The problem is, I want to be with you, but I cain't."

"I know."

"You know what?"

"I already know you're dyin'." Her eyes widened.

"How?"

"When I took you home the other night, there was a letter sittin' on your nightstand from your doctor talkin' 'bout your illness, sayin' how you might not live 'n such." 

"Knowin' that, you still asked me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Cause I wanna be with you an' you said that you wanna be with me. Why would I waste the time I have left with you? Why would I ever choose not lovin' you over keepin' my heart from breakin'? A broken heart mends, regret doesn't." She just stood there, mouth open, salty tears dripping from her upper lip. I raised my hand to her face wiping the tears off her soft skin.

"I would never hurt you. I would never leave you. These past few weeks have been the best in my life and I wan' to continue those weeks. I wan' months, years, if we have that much time."  She paused for a moment, as if she was searching for words, but all she did was nod.
"So will you let me stay with you?"

"I'd like that." She held a painful smile on her face, but I still saw  a hint of that strength and courage within it. The kind of courage she always had.