Summer Night Kiss

"There it is. Home sweet home. It ain't much, but it sure has lots of memories."  I stepped onto the porch and set Lulu down gently. She hobbled over to the door.

"Yer home is very well kept. Does your mother live with ya?" I opened the door.

"No, she died a year back. It's just me around here. Me and Millard of course." The I gestured to the black cat that sat on the porch next to us.

"How funny, he looks like a skunk with that strip down his back." The cat slipped in past the door. I helped Lulu hop over to my small green couch that sat in front of the fireplace.

"Are ya cold? I could start the fire if you'd like." Lulu nodded as  the logs I had placed earlier that morning caught. Slowly the flames grew bigger. It was dark in my living room. I kept the lights off and let the glow of the flames fill the room.

"Tea or coffee?"

"Tea."

"Sugar or plain?"

"Sugar."

"Soup or meat?"

"I'll just have soup." I prepared the meal she had chosen. I made sure the soup wasn't too hot. The tea was perfectly made and blended correctly. I made sure everything was just the way it should have been.  I handed Lulu her meal on a small tray.

"Thank you." Lulu crept to the floor and sat next to the fire as Millard rubbed against her body with a slight pur. She stared into the blaze and soon became entranced with the dancing flames. I watched her and all of her beauty. I, too was entranced with a beautiful flame.

"What are you looking at?" She caught me staring.
"You."

"Why?"

"Well, you jus' look very beautiful right now, that's all." I smiled at her.

"How many times do I have to tell you? Flattery won't work on me."

"Then what will?" I looked at her with a seriousness and kindness that I hoped reached her. Lulu seemed surprised at my comment.

"Well, oh I don't know! Nothin' I guess." She looked into the fire intensely. I slowly made my way next to her near the fire.

"Maybe you can make an expectation."

"You mean an exception."

"Yeah, that."

"West you're a great guy but," she stopped herself.

"But what?" Her eyes filled with uncertainty. She glanced back and forth from the fire to my hopeful eyes. There was a long silence between us.

"Whatchya thinkin' 'bout?"

"I was thinkin' maybe we could arm wrestle. Loser has to do one thing that winner tells them." We both looked at the other with determination. We laid on the floor, hand in hand ready for the challenge.

"One, two, three, GO!" I used all of my strength and within a few seconds, I slammed Lulu's arm to the ground. She quickly sat up and spoke in a falsely angered tone.

"Well I'd never! I cain'y believe you beat me!" I giggled excitedly knowing I would get one thing from her. An answer.

"Alright you get one thing from me. What do you want?" I immediately knew what I wanted.

"Why won't you make an exception?" She fell silent.

"Ask somethin' else." Lulu snapped. I just sat there staring at her glowing features.

"I think I shoul' go home. It ain't right for me to be here." She carefully stood to her feet.

"I'll carry you home." I said as I stood next to her, helping her balance.

"No, I can get there on my own. I'll use the fence to help me balance."

"I ain't goin' to let you walk there on yer own. It already dark an' the cyotes are out." She turned to me with wrath.

"I don' want her help! I didn' ask for it, I don' need it! I don' wan' yer pity!" She hobbled over to the door just after she smacked my hand away.

"I ain't got no pity an' I know you don' need no help, but it's dark. What if someone pick you up an' snatched you? Your pa would be heartbroken. There ain't no way I'm a lettin' you go by yourself." She gazed at me with a slight smile.

"Alright you big dope. Take me home, I'm tired." She raised her hands up at me like a little child would to their parents. I gently picked her up. Her legs sat on my hips, her arms wrapped around my neck, and she dug her face into my chest.

As I walked under the moonlight, I could hear her sleepy breath, inhailing and exhailing. She had fallen asleep in my arms. I neared her front porch with the porch light on, that had shown through the darkness. The swing that sat next to the door rocked slightly in the summer night breeze. Quitely, I laid her down on her well made bed, tucking her in. I stood there for a moment admiring her beauty even in sleep. I leaned over and kissed her forehead. Wishing her a goodnight even though those words didn't leave my mouth. I looked over at her nightstand. A letter from her doctor sat, opened and read.