Chapter Five~Karma's a bitch

"Gaby, come on you have to run!" Joseph yelled, as I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. 

"But I lost Renee!" I worried, trying to keep my balance.

"Don't worry, she's probably with Dylan, now let's go!"

He held my hand, and we ran as fast as we could, not sure where we were going--just had to find some place to hide. Constantly, we were making left and right turns to outrun the two cops that were chasing after us. 

"Over here," Joseph whispered, dragging me to a huge trash can.

I looked at it  with a disgusted look, "You want me to go in there?!" 

He opened it up, his face cringing from the smell, "We need to hide, hurry. I'll make sure you don't get dirty," 

We both climbed in, the stench was burning my eyes and nose. 

"Don't breath it in, come close to me Gabrielle,"

Joseph wrapped his arms around me, and I burried my face in his chest. His scent was the only good thing to smell. His head was burried in my shoulders, making us as close as we could possibly be. 

Suddenly, we heard footsteps run past the garbage can. 

"Damn those kids," one of the cops said, panting from running. 

"Forget it Carl, it's not a big deal anyways, tell the others to just forget it,"

With the tone of his voice you could tell the other cop wasn't happy, "Fine, let's go"

Finally, the police had left, and Joseph and I burst out of the garbage can for fresh air. 

"You okay Gaby? Sorry you had to do that," Joseph said in between coughs. 

"Yea, I'm fine," I saw that I was pretty clean, and Joseph's clothes were spotted with dirt.

"Thank you for protecting me from the dirt," I smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek

He blushed, scratching the back of his head, "No problem at all. Would you like to come over my house and shower off that shitty smell?" he offered. 

"No, I'm good! Thanks though, I'll just tell my step grandma I bumped into a trash can and fell in," 

I paused for a minute and bit my lip, "I guess I should start heading home,"

"No!" Joseph exclaimed, "Uh, I mean...let me walk you home. I want you to be safe," 

I grinned, "Sure, that'd be nice,"

At that we started walking towards my house, only about 3 inches apart from each other. 

"You know," I started, "I hadn't had a genuine good time like that in a while..." I began to speak soft, "Thank you for always making me smile," 

Joseph starred at me with a smirk on his face, "Well that's what I'm here for Gaby, that's what bestie's are for! I actually hadn't had a blast like that in a while either, you really are amazing Gabrielle,"

I felt my cheeks boil up a bit, as I got an inch closer to him. As werre about to cross the road, Joseph held out his hand to me, "Hold my hand Ms.Tiny--I don't want a car to run over you," he joked.

Taking his hand as we crosses the street, I couldn't help myself but laugh because it was true, "I'm not THAT tiny, okay!" I chuckled,softly swinging our arms in a back and forth motion. 

"Aha, don't worry, I think your tininess is adorable,"

Suddenly, I heard Renee's voice calling after us. Instantly, I released his hand and looked down in disappointment.