Chapter forty-four- The choices we make

Chapter forty four

I watched him vanish inside the head quarters. I frowned “Hmph…”  I grumbled quietly turning towards the others who had also been watching the young man storm off. Erd folded his arms. “Alya, do you see it now?” He asked. The others gave me a smirk as he said this, Petra was the only one who actually smiled. I tipped my head “Uh… that he is an ass?” I asked. Erd sighed, rubbing his hand across his face in frustration. “I'm starting to think hes right about you being stupid.” He joked. I frowned “Hmph, Just tell me. Then I wont be stupid.” I sneered, the tall blond haired man looked down at me. “Why do you think he's acting like this?” he asked while the others stood knowingly by his side, arms folded and awaiting my response. “Because he’s an ass.” I said folding my arms and turning my nose up. Erd sighed “Your really not Intune to people’s emotions are you?” he grumbled. I looked at him out of the cover of my eye, I guess I wasn't. I had grown up alone for the most part, I'd never really learned to read people.

Erd put his massive hands on my much smaller shoulders. “You've awoken something inside Levi, and hes worried about it. He doesn't seem to understand whats going on, this young man has never had many friends. I highly doubt he had a loving and caring family, so having you around really…” Erd stopped “I don’t know how to explain it, and I don’t know for sure but I think that he might be starting to feel something for you… and he doesn't want to lose it.” I frowned “What?” Erd groaned “Alya, you cant be serious. I thought you could read people better then this.” I shrugged “I guess not.” Erd looked towards the others “A little help?” he asked. Petra nodded and walked towards me, her high-high boots kicking up dust and disturbing the dirt as she walked.

Petra took my hands in hers “Hems developing feelings for you, and he doesn't want to.” She said. I recoiled, ripping my hands from hers. “Your insane, we're friends. Period.” I said lifting my hand and making a swiping motion of disbelief. Petra shrugged “I suggest talking to him. That’s the only way to clear the air.” There was a yell from one of the squad leaders across the way and the four raced off leaving me standing in a plume of dust. I sighed turning back to the horses, rubbing my hand on my black steeds nose. She licked my face and nibbled my hair,  I decided I should talk to him. Those four didn't know what he really felt, he could have just been having a bad day.

I went inside and up the steps towards the boy’s bedroom, I opened it very slowly peeking in to see the room empty dust swirled through the window and into the one shaft of light. I shut the doors and went up the steps knowing the one place he would be. I opened the door to the attic, sure enough he was sitting at the piano and playing a very up-beat song. It was beautiful, like always. His eyes where closed as he rocked back and forth to reach the keys of the brown piano, light streamed through the dusty window. I opened the door and stepped into the room he didn't even seem to notice. I listened to him playing until he stopped, he looked up at me slightly surprised. The dust light illuminating his face, he remained seated. “What?” he demanded “I'm taking a break, if you’re here to try and get me to do chores.” He grumbled quietly, I walked over and sat down beside him on the bench. “Teach me?” I asked. He blinked in surprise, but his stern frown was replaced with a soft smile. “Alright, follow my lead.” He took my left hand in his left one and I tried to follow his fingers as they played the keys. I was terrible, I couldn't keep up with the pace he was playing.

He chuckled softly “keep trying.” I nodded as he played the lower keys and taught me the higher ones for the song I played several off key ones and he winced at the terrible sound It made. He played the higher ones for me and I copied him the best I could. I still wasn't as good as he was, and I didn't think I would ever be. I managed to play the rest of the song with a little bit of help from him, he stopped lifting his hands from the keys looking towards me. “Hm, your pretty good. With some training you could be almost as good as me.” He teasingly said. I rolled my eyes “Are you going to teach me?” I asked. He shrugged “Depends on wither you’re going to be here… after today.” He said slowly. I sighed quietly “I plan on sticking around, your not going to get rid of me that easily.” I said jokingly. He turned to me “I'm serious. I don’t think the Military Corp will be the same with you gone, your one of the strongest warriors.” He said  shrugging his shoulders. “So your attitude is about me leaving…?” I asked. He nodded very carefully “We need strong warriors around, even if I don’t like this Corp. I hate titans more.” He said his voice growing cold once again.

I narrowed my eyes at him as he rested his hands on the keys of the old piano, not playing any notes. “So, its about the war then…?” I said quietly, he blinked. “What do you mean?” I shrugged, deciding against telling him about what the others had said “Its nothing, just something someone told me.” I lied. He frowned at me “You can’t keep secrets from me.” He said, I sighed quietly. “Someone told me that, the reason you had such an attitude was because you where jealous of Qwill.” I lied again, his eyes grew suddenly cold. “No, why would I be jealous of such a foolish boy.” He spat. I rolled my eyes “You know why.” I hoped he knew, anyway. He rolled his broad shoulders back sitting up straighter looking down at me as I leaned against the edge of the piano. “I don’t have feelings for anyone, if that’s what you mean.” He said. I shrugged “I didn't mean anything, its just what I was told.” I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. He said nothing for a long few minutes, there was the sounds of horse hooves outside.

I stood “Well, I'll see you later.” I said standing and going to the door he suddenly grabbed my hand and stood up. He gave me a very sudden hug it only lasted for a couple of seconds before he raced off slamming the door loudly. I sighed, he was so confusing some times. I went down the steps and outside, standing outside. Qwill was there, riding his white horse it trotted impatiently across the dusty garden. Erwin was there, he wasn't looking at me. Qwill smiled when he saw me, he dismounted the horse and walked over. “Well, have you chosen?”  I nodded “I agree, if you let me stay with the Military Corp.” he face suddenly grew stiff. “No.” I frowned “Why!” Qwill looked at me, gripping my shoulders with his hands. “You can’t, we will be in Sina.” He said “Coming down here to rose every day, it wouldn't work.” I suddenly felt my will power go, so I had to choose... and choose now. I looked back at the group, Ackerman wasn't there.

I looked up at him “Alright… I'll go with you.”