Chasing Ghosts

True love is like a ghost, in which everyone chases but few have ever seen.

Another day. Living on the edges of our seats. Waiting for the walls to come crashing down upon our heads, for giant men to eat their ways into our homes and slaughter our family's. Just any other day, for us. I scratched my scruffy brown hair, limping down the stairs. My head was hurting from the bedpost, and my neck was sore something awful. I was far to big for the small beds my Core gave me. Armin, however- 

I was shoved aside by the small Lieutenant.  His well groomed black hair and angry stare met me as he shoved me aside on the stairs. "Jesus chirs-" I snarled as he stormed past me crackling like wildfire. Hanji raced up behind him, waving her hands. "Wouldn't it be better to deal with your problems then hide from them." The woman shouted past me at the tiny man who had already slammed the door. I heard a muffled "No" from behind the closed wooden frame. "Oh, morning Eren." She said to me, as though I had not been standing here the whole time. "Ah, Morning. Hanij." I coughed quietly. Sneaking around her. Honestly I was confused as to why the tiny man had been so cross with her, but it was better to keep my mouth shut then ask questions around her.

I slunk down into the mess hall. Keeping my eyes down until I sat with Mikasa and Armin. Eating a small meal, but feeling uneasy the entire time. I could feel her, staring at me. Hanji. Her brown eyes boring into my back from across the room. Armin poked my arm softly. "Eren?" he asked. "Sh dont-"

There was the sound of something hitting the table and I looked up in surprise. "Eren." Hanjis smile greeted me. I coughed. "I didnt hear anyt-" she cut me off. "Nah, I think its better you DID hear it. Hes been bottling it up for way... WAY to long." She said, putting her fist down on the table. "Its time someone besides me knew." We all looked at eachother, incredibly confused.

"He used to love, you know. You used to feel.... even smile." Hanji said, her voice was quiet now. Like the whisper of wind between blades of grass. "Smile." I forced down the laugh. "That little man, smile? Please." Hanji nodded slowly. "I know it sounds crazy, but its true! He did smile- but things change... and well." She tugged the collar on her shirt. "I cant explain it like this, I'll tell you what I remember."

"The story of, love- loss and... Ghosts."