Chapter 2: I Hate Hospitals

I've never particularly liked hospitals. I don't hate them, but they don't exactly make me feel comfortable. I mean, what's so reassuring about a building where sick people congregate.

So, you can probably imagine my surprise and distaste at waking up in one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My head feels like it's been filled with cotton balls as my eyes find their way open, despite their heaviness. I feel clean but not a good clean. It feels as if my entire body has been scrubbed raw and then dunked in rubbing alcohol.

I feel a small groan escape my slightly chapped lips and shift in the too firm bed. Light blue holographic projections near the bed behold my heart rate, blood pressure, and other medical things I can't read or understand. I may be way more technologically advanced, but medicine is not exactly my field of choice. I scan the room to find it bare except for a lone chair near the window, which had blinds pulled over it. They decided to take out all the colors in hospitals in order to not over stimulate some patients. The doctors still wear multicolored scrubs, though.

"So, you're finally awake, kid," a voice says nonchalantly from the doorway.

I shift my tired gaze to the woman who stands in the threshold of the room. She has sleek blonde hair pulled into a tight ponytail, glasses framing dark brown eyes, smooth tan skin, a slim physique, and and is wearing business type clothes.

She's beautiful. I just don't exactly play for that team.

She struts into the room with an overwhelming air of confidence as her heels click against the artificial tiling. She studies me with a clinical stare and looks me up and down, making me nervously tug on a dark low hanging curl of mine and shift uncomfortably. Who exactly is this woman?

She walks over to me and holds out a delicate hand. "Agent Mary Treadaway," she tells me, gripping my hand with a vicelike hold, surprising me. "Do you remember what happened?" She asks me, an emotionless voice escaping her ruby red lips.

Flashes echo through my mind as I recall what happened and cringe.

"I'll take that as a yes," she says with an exasperated sigh.

She paces the room with soft clicks and clacks, crossing her arms as she does so.

"Kid," she tells me seriously, "are you willing to testify against the men who killed your family?"

I reply almost immediately. "Yes."

She studies me closely, as if wanting to discover the secrets of my thoughts.

I want to give my family any justice I can get.

"You should know," she tells me with a defeated expression, "you'll have to be put into witness protection."

I stare at her for a moment, as if I were contemplating what she said, but, in actuality, I've already decided. "I'll testify," I state firmly with a set expression.

She looks at me for a moment, intrigued by something in my expression or actions.

Finally looking away with closed eyes, she shakes her head, making her hair swing wildly like some weapon.

"All right, kid." She looks at me once more. "I'll go fill out the paperwork," she tells me solemnly, and for an instant, I see the kind and loving person she's hiding.

The image is gone as soon as it was revealed, making me nearly doubt what I saw in her.

I run a hand through my thick black curls and sigh. I've never had friends, so there's no problem with leaving everything behind now.

I'm alone.

I'll just have to get used to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's so short the next one will definitely be longer!! I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! I'll try and update soon! See y'all nuggety little shits in the next update! Bai!!! >:3

-IggyScones