Weird Superstitions!

Hey all the people out there!!! Sorry for the late update! This chapter’s on Weird superstitions! Sounds interesting? Huh?

*According to the dictionary, superstition is an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear. There are superstitions for almost all aspects of our daily lives and most have unknown origins. Sometimes they are logical (for example, “don’t walk under a ladder”) but most of the time they are just plain silly (“An acorn at the window will keep lightning out”?! huh?). Sometimes people can even become controlled by their superstitions (“walk on a crack, break your mother’s back”–that must be SOME crack!).

1. If a candle blows out, evil spirits are nearby.

2. Three seagulls flying together, directly overhead, are a warning of death soon to come. (Oh, that explains all those people walking up and down the street wearing hula hoops.)

3. Evil spirits can’t harm you when you stand inside a circle.

4. If you stick your hands in your pocket while walking past a graveyard, it will protect your parents.

5. Never take a broom along when you move. It is bad luck. Throw it out and buy a new one.

6. If three people are photographed together, the one in the middle will die first.

7. Place a hand in front of your mouth when sneezing so that your soul cannot escape.

8. Its bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one used to come into it. (I’m safe from this one. I live in an apartment and there’s ONLY one door. WHEW!)

9.  Hold your breath while going past a cemetery otherwise you will breathe in the spirit of someone who has recently died. 

10.  If a dead person’s eyes are left open he will find someone to take along with him.

11. Dropping an umbrella on the floor is an indication of murder in the house. 

12. If a clock that has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family.

13. It is bad luck to light 3 cigarettes at the same time. (Yes it is. And that bad luck is called cancer.)

14. The number of Xs in the palm of your right hand is the number of children you will have.

15. A loaf of bread should never be turned upside down after a slice has been cut from it.    

16. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn you will not catch a cold all winter. (How about if the whole tree falls on you in autumn?)

17. You should never start a trip on a Friday or you will meet misfortune.

18. If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken. 

19. Salty soup is a sign that the cook is in love. (I’ve actually checked the sodium levels on some of the food in my local grocery…gee, there’s an awful lot of love out there.)

20. A bird in the house is a sign of a death.

21. A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away. (That is however, unless said horseshoe is hanging over your bed, falls on your head and gives you a concussion.)

22. Counting six crows will cause death.

23.Spit on a new bat before using it for the first time to make it lucky.

24. Its bad luck to pick up a coin if its tails side up. Good luck comes if it’s heads up.

25. If the palm of your right hand itches, it means you will soon be getting money. If the palm of your left hand itches, it means you will soon be paying out money.

26. A new bride must be carried over the threshold because it’s bad luck if she falls.(I always thought it was because she was hammered from the reception.)