(5) Castle Walls

Castle Walls

Chapter Five

This chapter is dedicated to cakewriter for being the first one to comment on this story. You are awesome!

*********************

My Dear Angel,

It’s been so long since I’ve seen you last. It feels like ages ago when I left you and your mother to come here. Not to worry, for I will be home soon. I’m sorry that I will miss your birthday, but I will be there for Christmas, and you can tell me anything of which is going on. I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to call you or your mother, but the phone lines had been cut for a while and it’s a mad dash to get to talk on any of them the past few days. If only you knew what I had gotten you for your birthday. I’m sorry I couldn’t send it to you, but it will be in the mail in a matter of weeks. Angel, be good to your mother and take care of your-self. Also, keep your gun close by incase any boys are around.

With all my love,

Dad

I looked through the letter over and over again until my mother and I arrived at the restaurant, where I safely tucked it into my jean pocket. As we walked in, we were immediately seated at a booth near the entrance.

                After ordering our food, my mother frowned at my clothing choice with disapproval. “Angel, why couldn’t you choose something nice to wear? This is a fancy restaurant, not a dive like Dave’s.”

                I frowned at her after looking at my favorite tee shirt and pair of jeans. “I’m sorry mother, but I didn’t know I always had to dress to please you. Then again, I always have to please you.”

                “Well, without your status as head cheerleader, you’d be nothing, so you should be thanking me for pushing you so hard.” She took a bite of the salad the waitress had placed in front of her just a minute ago. I ate mine in silence.

                “If you want to do so well, then why are you never around?” I mumbled to myself. Mother didn’t hear.

                Our dinner passed in silence as we ate, sending each other a comment about the food, or asking each other a question about school. Well, I sat in silence most of the time. My mother got about three business calls since our salads arrived to the end of the dinner all together, saying she wasn’t doing anything important, which pissed me off.

                On our way out, my foot caught on the doorjamb and I stumbled, making my mother comment on my clumsiness. “Angel, you look like you’re drunk and unable to even walk. Don’t make me look bad.”

                I threw my mother a glare. With that comment, after so many others that night, I was done. I mean, while I was eating my spaghetti, she commented on how there was sauce on the corner of my mouth, saying I was disgusting when I was already grabbing for a napkin.

                “Where are you going?” she yelled at me from her highly expensive car. I had barely realized that I was walking out of the parking lot, away from my mother.

                I turned. “I’m going to go get a smoothie at Dave’s. I’ll catch a ride with a friend.” Everyone would be at Dave’s right now with their friends. I’m sure there was someone I could catch a ride with.”

                Mom nodded and jumped into the car. Since Dave’s was only about three blocks away, I had nothing to worry about. The neighborhood may not be the very best, but its’ okay to walk through as long as you don’t mess with anything or anyone. Gladly, I don’t even want to touch anything in the neighborhood.