part thirteen

Today was a weird ass day. We were in NYC for a couple of days, and Ana had booked me a late night gig for what would be tonight. I was honestly kinda nervous about it because I had never performed on TV before. I was out previewing with TJ, my stylist, and Matt. I had to find a good outfit for the performance tonight. Basically, TJ had connections with designers all over the spectrum and had gotten a few of them to preview a couple of pieces that I could potentially wear on air. It was an extremely boujee process and I felt really strange doing it. Someone was lending me extremely expensive clothing because I was gonna be on TV. What the fuck.

Matt wasn't really into this kind of thing. I knew he had tagged along because he wanted to spend time with me. We were nearing the end of June, and the Brockhampton guys were busy with Saturation II. Matt would be leaving the tour at the beginning of August to film videos for the album and also to help the guys move. They were finally leaving their house in South Central and moving into a bigger house in Van Nuys. The neighborhood in South Central wasn't really safe and they had gotten into fights with the neighbors in the area so they knew they had to leave as soon as they could. They had finally made enough from streaming and from side jobs to afford the switch and they were all pretty excited about it. They loved the memories the South Central house had but they needed to expand to a bigger space.

I stood in the center of the room, arms crossed as TJ discussed things with his friend at YSL. Matt sat on a chair, scrolling through his phone absentmindedly. "Okay, so we have some ideas for different silhouettes. It's gonna be two separate looks, one for the interview and one for the actual performance." explained TJ, to which I nodded. He pulled a couple of dresses from the rack, one instantly getting my attention. "Any of these calling out to you?" he asked. I instinctively reached for the black mini-dress with an ostrich feather trim around the shoulders. "T-This is absolutely beautiful." I said, eyes wide as I carefully danced my fingers over the fabric. "You like it?" asked the YSL representative. I nodded, smile wide. "It's exactly what I would think of when I think of Hollywood. I love it. That's the one." I decided. TJ and the YSL rep left while Matt helped me change into the dress. 

Matt moved my hair to the side, zipping up the back of the dress carefully. I smiled as I watched our reflections in the mirror. He pressed a soft kiss to the back of my shoulder, sending goosebumps down my body. "You look beautiful, Cat." he mumbled, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. I rested my hands on top of his and leaned into his body. "You think so?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Mhhm." he murmured, leaving a trail of kisses down my neck and shoulder before pulling away. I turned to face him, tucking my hair behind my ear. "You don't think it's too much?" I asked, gesturing down at the dress. He shook his head, taking my arm and holding it over my head. I giggled and spun, taking his other hand as I took my final step. "It's just enough." he whispered, pecking my lips lightly. I pulled out my phone and snapped a quick picture of our reflections. There was a quick knock at the door and Matt and I pulled apart.

 "Wow, Cat. You're glowing!" said TJ excitedly. "It does look amazing." nodded the YSl rep. "This is definitely the one." I nodded, turning back to my reflection. The YSL rep and TJ argued over accessories and shoes until they decided on red as an accent color for the shoes and necklace. For the second outfit, TJ already had an idea of the look he was going for and the selection process for that was pretty simple. We landed on a dark green leather bustier with a front zipper, black skinny jeans, and black boots that had metallic spots on them. He paired it with a silver choker necklace to match the detailing on the boots. I felt really confident in the outfits he chose and we quickly left YSL, two garment bags in hand. We headed straight over to the studios for the show I was doing, Late Night with Seth Meyers. This was an honestly surreal experience for me because I had grown up watching him on Weekend Update.

The interview portion was being filmed first, so I changed into the black dress, slipped on the red heels, and put the necklace on. TJ got to work immediately on my hair and makeup. He went with a red lip that perfectly matched the color of the shoes and did a warm cat eye look for my eyeshadow. My hair was done in a half-updo, with the ends extremely curled. I put on my signature gold hoops and smiled at my reflection. I was living for the Latina fantasy I was serving. I took a deep breath as I stared at my reflection. I got a notification on my phone, and I giggled as I saw Matt had posted the picture we took earlier today and had captioned it "go see my girl who is hot af and out of my league tonight on seth meyers". I quickly commented "a supportive MAN" before locking my phone and fixing my hair in the mirror. Matt walked up next to my chair and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "How do you feel?" he asked. "I'm ready." I smiled, reaching up and taking his hand in mine. This moment would be huge for my career, and it was finally happening.