Chapter 5

Charlotte Pov

We had spent so much time wondering the halls and in the illusioned, teaching room that it was night by the time I left the dining room. I lay still in my bed, in sleep but without dreams and I'm guessing that's why I heard the doorbell so clearly. I sat up in the bed, spirals springing out my head and refusing to stay down. There was not another noise that I could hear until a light knock on the door.

"Come in." My voice was hoarse and the door gently opened before the figure from the outside moved onto my bed.

"You need to stay quiet, Princess and do not leave your room." His hand covered my mouth as I tried to react to him, regretting the words 'come in' had ever left my mouth. It wasn't Orpheius but Alexander, though Orpheius appeared moments later.

"It's either this or you pretend to be a demon, I use for recreational purposes?" I gagged behind Alexander's hand as Orpheius smirked widely. When he knew I would stay silent, he removed his hand and they left my room, the lock clicking behind them.

I want to play a game...

Now fully awake, I crept to my door and pressed my ear against it, my pyjama shorts brushed my legs lightly and seemed to make more noise than they actually were. On the other side of the door - beyond my shallow breathes - Alexander and a few others could be heard talking.

"We should have called ahead but we just couldn't pass up a chance to surprise the King and the Lord." A girl's voice buzzed from the other side of the door. They were probably in the main hallway but there is only one door in a sea of illusions and deceptions, the hallway is where they join together.

"Ambrosia, you know you're always welcome." Alexander announced and their small laughs could be heard.

"I'll set you up for the night and we shall talk in the morning." I heard their footsteps approach the door and the rattle of the handle but it never opened, instead, I was met with silence. Dead silence. I stepped away from the door, thinking who could be calling at such an hour. Though I suppose Demon's never slept. My bed seemed to be calling for me to climb back into the warmth and I submitted without an argument. Maybe I am going mad?

"Princess, don't leave your room tomorrow till I collect you." I heard Orpheius' voice but when I looked around my room he wasn't there. No sign of a shadow or any demon's that could possibly manifest him. The thought haunted me, the fact he could get into my head was scary enough but why was there such worry now. I have only been here a day and a bit. I struggled to sleep with uncertainty and was glad when a peaceful slumber came calling.

****

Morning came soon enough as sleep always has to end - unless you're dead, I suppose. I stood from the bed and walked to the door, I hesitated as Alexander's and Orpheius' voice echoed in my mind. I just had to brush it off, I had to but it was still there in my mind.

"Bathroom." I called out and opened the door. I was faced with pure marble structures with golden rims, similar to the staircase. A bath the same size as the river I had almost drowned in, only decorated with loose flower petals of pinks and reds. A shower that was an open wet room, jets built in the wall and a row of holes above for more water. The floor was crystalised, fading into a glass-like material as the water below it shimmered the reflection of the lights. My bare feet skimmed the floor as I approached the bath, I touched the water within it and it was already steaming. Stripping my clothes and loosening my hair, I climbed in a foot at a time, finally sitting down beneath the soft waves. Oils, scents, shampoo and conditioner lined the opposite side of the marble surface and I began to wash my self. Allowing myself to become submerged without the fear I had felt yesterday. Eventually, I managed to separate myself from the bath of luxury and I wrapped a towel around my body. Stepping toward the mirror that covered a small length of the bathroom. A note on the counter rested on a dress and products.