Chapter 23

▶ Alex ◀◄

  It's twelve midnight. Most original inhabitants are asleep.

  I helplessly sit on the couch, staring at Bismarck. I don't know what to do now. I can't read Kruzexe and I can't save Lex. I feel totally useless and dejected. I keep looking at the clock from time to time. "Why do I even exist?" I start to think.

  I decide to make myself more useful by interrogating Bismarck. I walk towards Bismarck and tap his cheek sternly. "Hey. Hey Bismarck. Wake up you idiot" I tap harder.

  Bismarck slowly opens his eyes. He looks up at me. His lips reform into a long grin. "Alex my boy" He laughs. "So what's the latest update? Did you receive a dead body yet?"

  I ignore him and pull a chair to sit. Actually, I pretend like I'm ignoring him. Deep down I know that I have something to do, but what? I sit in front of Bismarck and stare into his eyes, like the answer lies somewhere in there.

  Suddenly it looks like Bismarck realized something. He seems to shake his head in confusion. "Who is that boy?" Bismarck asks drowsily. "Damien is it?"

  "I'm intrigued by your question" I say as I curiously pull my chair closer. "Why do you ask?"

  "I woke up a few hours ago and I don't think you were here. Otherwise, this place would feel like bullshit" Bismarck laughs. I roll my eyes in disgust. Maybe his tiny brain couldn’t take the dose. It's starting to affect him.

  I dig in my pocket and pull out my usual item. "You were saying?" I interrogate as I point the Reflesiak knife at Bismarck's throat.

  "Okay okay calm down big boy" Bismarck gulps. "That boy, Damien, he just came in randomly, asked me a few questions, took my mobile and left when you came in"

  "Asked you a few questions... like what?" I ask, now more confused than ever. Why would he want Bismarck's mobile?

   "Are you suspicious of Damien, big boy?" He laughs. "Didn't we teach you at Trizex? It's their kind. They are cheaters and dumb-witted. Don't trust them, they have manipulated your mind. Let me free, I will help you"

  "Can you please for the universe's sake just stop blabbering?" I can't get more irritated. "Damien is not even Krux. What did he ask you?!"

  "Really? Then how's he so fast and strong? Are you missing something, eh?" He keeps prattling. "Because I'm pretty sure he's not Trizex"

  That actually makes sense. Damien must be Krux, but how come no one recognized him?

  "Just tell me what he asked you" I ask again.

  "He asked me where I'm meeting the Krux woman, why we need the sphere and whether we will release Lex in exchange for the sphere" Bismarck answers in irritation. "Couldn't he just ask you? I had to repeat everything once again to that stupid boy"

  A wave of realization hit me. I quickly give the doze to Bismarck and grab my jacket to leave the house. I must be correct, there's no other answer.

 ▶ Aiden ◀◄

  What is up with Alex? He called to ask if I have biscuits and a few minutes later he called back to ask about the sphere. He told the reason why Kayla took the sphere too. Something's wrong here, but I don't feel like doing anything about it. I can't even try to question him. Is it because I'm into bringing Bess back or what?

   Anyway, he said he'll come here so I'll ask him then. I should get back to reading the books.

  I shut the eleventh book and pick the next book. I look at Owen, he's reading the twelfth book. The books are really fat, like really really fat. Kruzex's history is huge, very big.