Chapter 22

▶ Aiden ◀◄

  I run towards the library as fast as I can. So many books, so little time. I must save Bess, I will save Bess.

   I enter the library and stare at all the books. Not because there are many, but because there are very less, compared to the real library in the Krux kingdom. I hear the door open behind me. I turn around and see Owen coming in.

  "I don't know what's wrong with Kayla" Owen shakes head sadly. "I never expected this from her" Owen and Kayla are like a brother and sister. After my mother's death, Kayla took care of me and guided me. I know how Owen feels, because I feel the same. I bet Kayla didn't do this on purpose; something forced her to do this. If only I had the time to talk to her. Maybe after I bring Bess back...

  "I don't think she meant to do this" I respond. "She's the Kayla we thought she was, Owen. We'll get to know the truth later. She's not in the state to tell anything now"

  "Yes, I understand" Owen nods slightly. "So where do we start?"

  I turn around and look at the library. "This library is small" I look at him. Owen nods in agreement. "This library is nothing compared to the original"

  "But the important ones are here" Owen informs.

  "I know, but these are the duplicates of the original books" I complain. "Owen, we need help"

  "I don't think duplicates will have any information missing, but I can surely call our people and tell them to start searching"

  "Thank you" I smile. "Oh! And don't forget to ask the librarians, they read a lot so they might have an idea" I suggest.

  "Okay" Owen agrees. He leaves the library to call. I turn around and look at the rows and rows of book. Yes, this library is smaller compared to the original, but still, this is huge.

  I tread towards the curtains and slide them wide open. Then, I walk around the place. I observe thousands of books of different sizes, shapes and colour. I spot an old book. It looks interesting so I decide to start with it.

  I lift the big book and carry it to the table nearby. I place it on the table with a slight thud. I dust the dirt above it and give it a blow. Even though this is a duplicate, it looks exactly like the original. This is because the duplicates and the originals are connected. If one gets destroyed, the other will get destroyed too. Yes, there's a catch to everything in this world.

  The only way to get rid of the duplicate is by casting a reversing spell. Yes, a spell. Even though witches are extinct, the Kruzex know the very basic spells, like the duplicating spell. This only works on books and stuff though, the other spells are witchy.

  I stare at the book's cover. Its dark green and it's edges have black creepers attached to it. I say a silent prayer and wish that this is the right one, even though I know that the odds are against me here. I open the book and start reading as fast as I can.

  I'm not going to let her die.

▶ Alex ◀◄

  There must be some way out, some way. Only, I have to find it fast.

  I punch Bismarck one last time and enjoy as I watch his face snivel in pain. Then I turn to walk out of the room. I sit on the couch and think of a solution. After a few minutes, I lose patience. So I take my phone out to call Aiden.

  "Yes Alex?" Aiden's voice asks. "Where are you? I need you in the library"

  "I'm kind of busy, um... Kayla business"