Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

He stepped into the room as Ron struggled to get the door off of him. Then the loud sound of footsteps came from the dormitories and Draco knew that they had to leave or he would be seen. Draco ran over to Hermione and grabbed her arm, then pulled out his wand and waved it, muttering something and leaving dust and sparks behind as they disappeared.

            Ron got up, shoving the door aside as Harry came over to his side to help him up.

            “What happened Ron?” Harry asked. Ron shook his head as Harry grabbed his hand and helped him to his feet.

            “Hermione….” Other students, mostly first and third years, started to crowd the common room. It was loud and unnecessary noise that caused students passing by to peer in.

            “Hermione what?” Harry tried again. Ron’s eyes got big and then his face scrunched up.

            “Malfoy!” he shouted, pushing past the smaller students and going through the portrait hole, running down stair cases, having no idea where he was going but determined to find that blond-headed slime.

“Draco! Stop it! Where are we going?” Hermione screeched as Draco started to pull her down towards the lake. He didn’t answer, other than pulling her harder and being a bit rough. “Draco!” He stopped and looked back at her, releasing his grip.

            “What’s going on? What happened to your.....face?” He started to look angry.

            “What do you—think happened? You’re supposed to be—the smart one—Granger!” Draco shouted, trying to overcome the squawks in between his words. Hermione racked her mind for answers, but couldn’t find one. Her mind was clouded up with the fact that Draco had a beak and his hair looked a bit feathery.

            “I-I don’t know! Why is this happening? What is going on I don’t-”

            “Granger just stop!” Malfoy shouted. “This is all happening—because of you!”

            Hermione’s eyes started to water. Malfoy continued to shout.

            “The school year—is almost over—and you haven’t made—a bloody decision! I’ll die—in this form!” Now he was starting to tear up. His beak changed back into a mouth and his face was scrunched up in pain. “I can’t take it anymore Hermione! It hurts, just, it hurts so much… To see you every day and then knowing that you will never love me back as much as I love you.” Hermione was now crying, her hand covering her mouth to keep from making awkward sobbing sounds.

            “I love you, Hermione.” He slowly sat down on the ground, and looked out at the lake, his eyes red. Hermione started walking towards him, and then reached down to touch his shoulder. He flinched at her touch and she retracted.

            “Just please, go,” he muttered. She tried again.

            “Draco…”

            “Go!” he shouted.

            “But I don’t want to hurt you anymore!” she whined. Draco looked over his shoulder at her, a tear streaming down his cheek.

            “Too late, Granger. The damage is done.” Then he stood up and pulled out his wand. Hermione tried to stop him but before she knew it he vanished.

            Her heart strings were pulled and she fell to her knees, sobbing. There weren’t any tears left to shed. Only sounds of her trying to catch her breath.

            “I love you too…”