Chapter Twenty One: Alternate Ending

Chapter Twenty One

Hermione couldn't believe it. Draco was just going to let himself die. This was unlike the Draco that Hermione knew in the years prior to this one. Why couldn't he just be selfish again, and stop worrying about what anyone else would think?

            She continued studying for her final exams, Harry unusually quiet in the common room with his nose shoved in a book. He had been offered an Auror job right after the war, and that he didn't have to go back to school, but he decided to finish his education because it's what his parents would've wanted.

            Dean and Seamus were over in the corner of the common room talking to Ginny, who looked a little upset. Glancing around the room for anyone else, Hermione pulled aside a piece of parchment and a quill and wrote a note to Draco on it.

So is this it?

                        -H

            Hermione sat in the chair in the common room waiting for a reply even after it was past lights out. There was no reply.

            In the morning someone was tapping Hermione's shoulder to wake her up. She had fallen asleep in the chair.

            "Hermione, are you alright?" Seamus asked. She looked up at him, rubbing her eyes.

            "I'm fine, Seamus. Can you tell Professor McGonagall that I'm not feeling well? And that I've already done my work for the next week?"

            "Sure. Get some rest, Granger. You look terrible."

            "Thanks, Seamus," Hermione replied, gathering her things and going back up to her room. She didn't go to sleep. She was too worried about Draco. Instead, she worked on some of her other homework that she knew she would need to eventually do.

            By the end of the day, she was exhausted, and slept through the rest of the next day. Madam Pomfrey came to check on her and said she had a horrible fever, which was a lie. Madam Pomfrey knows all. She knew someone who was lovesick when she saw it.

            "Were you slipped a potion?" she asked Hermione. Hermione shook her head.

            "No. I'm just no feeling good. Stomach ache."

            When she left Hermione attended to the last of her homework, and as she did there was a knock on her door.

            "Come in," she said. There was another knock. "I said come in." Another knock. Hermione got up from her bed and went over to the door, where a piece of parchment was floating right about her nose height. She grabbed the piece of parchment eagerly and opened it, reading the note.

Goodbye. I love you.

                                    -M

            Hermione stared at the note, trying to find some hidden meaning in it. There wasn't any. What it said was clear as day. He was leaving her for good.

Later  on that day, Hermione took a walk down to Hogsmeade and the Shrieking Shack. There she just stared off into the distance.

"I'm sorry Draco...," she whispered to herself, struggling to catch her breath as the tears kept coming. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, okay? This is all just messed up and...I miss you." Then she started to laugh. It was messed up for sure. Whoever wrote her story she hated. How could they do this to her?

Next, she picked a rock off the ground threw it as hard as she could towards the Shrieking Shack. Hermione kicked the dirt up in anger.

Then, she heard a noise from behind her and reached for her wand in response.

"Calm down Hermione. It's just me." She lowered her wand and looked at the person carefully. It couldn't. He...

"Draco? What? I thought that you were gone and—" She couldn't find her words. There he was, standing in front of her. He didn't look angry, or happy, or sad. He just looked like Draco.

Hermione ran up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, holding on tight.

"I can't leave without a proper goodbye," he finally said. Hermione looked at him.

"You mean, you're not staying?" she asked. Draco stared at her. He didn't want to make her miserable.

"No, I am. I...I just want you to be happy, and not make the wrong choice or—" Then Hermione kissed him.

"Draco, I'm not making any wrong choice and I'm not going to let you die. So come here." She brought him in for another kiss, and this time she knew that she was never going to let go. Not even for a moment, because in that moment and others after, there was no turning back. Everything felt right between them now.

After the fact, Hermione and Draco dated for all to see. Draco re-enrolled at Hogwarts and Hermione passed her exams with flying colors. Later she applied for and got accepted for a high position at the ministry. Hermione and Draco continued to date for a few more years and Draco eventually proposed.

*~*THE END*~*