Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

In the morning Narcissa and Draco arrived at the gates of Hogwarts. Filch looked at her and she announced herself.

            “Narcissa Malfoy. I’m here to bring Draco back to his classes, so if you would be so kind to let us in…” Filch grunted and tapped on the gate. It swung open and Narcissa and Malfoy walked the path to Hogwarts, passing Hagrid’s hut and Forbidden Forest on the way, walking over the blueish-gray wooden bridge that hung over the lake.

            “Why did you bring me back here?” Draco complained. “She’s here…” His mother shot him a nasty look and continued her confident walk onto the school grounds. She would make that Granger girl fall head over heels in love with her boy if it’s the last thing she would ever do. He was not going to die. Narcissa had already lost him enough to the Dark Lord. His mind was fragile and she could not have anyone toying with it anymore.

Hermione sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, reading, when suddenly the giant brown doors opened and it revealed Draco Malfoy and his mother, Narcissa. She was walking behind Draco, who had a tired look on his face as he sat down at the very end of the Slytherin table. Narcissa continued walking between the tables until she was at the very front of the room standing in front of and talking to Headmaster McGonagall.

            “Hey look, Malfoy’s back; and his mum’s with him too,” Seamus said. “Couldn’t go anywhere without his mummy? What a mum’s boy!” Harry and Ron laughed along with him. Hermione was furious with their joking because something could be seriously wrong with Draco and they were making fun.

            “Stop it!” she exploded just as Narcissa was making her way out of the Great Hall. “You don’t need to be completely awful to him all the time!” Hermione looked over her shoulder over at Draco and saw that his mother was leaning over next to him, her arms around him and she kissed his forehead, then left.

            “Give him a break. He looks terrible,” she finished. Then she went back to her book. Harry, Ron, and Seamus looked at her funny, but just went along with it because they did not want to get on Hermione’s bad side.

Later that day Hermione sent a message to Draco, asking him to meet her in the first floor girl’s lavatory after lights out. He replied saying:

            Alright. Just try not to get me into trouble Granger.

                                                                        -M

So when it was lights out Hermione made her way to the bathroom, and when she walked in Draco was already there, sitting slumped on the ground against the sink that lead to the Chamber of Secrets.

            “You wanted to see me?” he groaned. “We’re going to need to make this fast because McGonagall has been keeping a close eye on me since my mother left.”

            Hermione was stunned.

            “You don’t answer my note and you completely ignore me, then on top of that you act like you don’t want to even look at me!” She smacked him in the chest with a book she had in her hand. He stepped back. “What is wrong with you?”

            “I tell you what’s wrong with him,” Narcissa said, walking out of a stall. Draco backed away from her too.

            “What are you still doing here?” Draco asked. Hermione was furious.

            “Don’t play dumb, Malfoy! You knew she was here!”

            “I swear I didn’t!” Draco said, putting his hands up. Narcissa walked over to him and laid her hand on his shoulder.

            “Quit the bickering,” she snapped. “The problem with Draco is you, Hermione.”