Chapter Six: Closer

In the car,
Nandini was sniffing and had tears in her eyes, she was actually feeling very scared because the incident had remined her something which happened sometimes back and she had a haunting memory of it. She stroked the reddened area of her arm and hid it with her white scarf.

“Ek ghante ka raasta hai, jitna rona hai ro lo” said Manik in a plain voice.

Nandini became angry “I am not crying and just because you helped me does not mean that you will give me orders” she said as she wiped out the tears.

Her phone rang and it was Cabir, Nandini kept on rebuking him for being late she also told him that she was fine and told him to head home quickly.

Manik smiled and thought “thank God she is back to normal”.

“Manik can I ask you something, gussa toh nahi karoge, now that we are on talking terms” said Nandini nervously.

He smiled “okay, what do you want to ask?” he said.

“Tum aj itna sad kyo the? Your music was expressing the grief in your heart” said Nandini.

Manik clenched his fists in anger “Don’t you think you are being to personal? Just mind your own business and stay silent I don’t want to hear a word from you” said Manik in an angry tone.

Nandini became a little sad and annoyed by his rude behavior. She looked at the window and stayed silent. For a while there was no talking just silence.

“Manik!” Nandini cried out.

“I said you not to speak” said Manik.

“But there is someone on the road, I guess that person met with an accident, just stop being arrogant and help the person he may die” yelled Nandini.

Manik gave her an angry look “you really don’t know me Nandini, I can get worse when I am angry” said Manik as he stopped the car.

“Oh come on! I am not a kid who will get scared from your dhamkis” said Nandini as she stepped out of the car.

Manik called her name many times to stop her, but she ran to the injured person.

At the scene,
a car’s windshield was broken and there was a man inside it. Nandini went closer and screamed as she made out that it was Mr. Malhotra, Manik’s father. Mr.Malhotra’s head was attached to the steering wheel and blood was leaking from it. Nandini opened the car door and held him, he was a bit conscious “Nandini” he uttered in a weak voice.

“Don’t worry uncle you will be fine” said Nandini.

“What happened, why were you screaming?” said Manik as he came near the broken car. He got frozen on seeing his dad in that condition, tears welled up in his eyes. “Dad!” he uttered. “Manik, don’t panic we have to take him to the hospital, he has lost a lot of blood” said Nandini.

Manik shook his head then with much difficulty they placed Mr. Malhotra in Manik’s car. Nandini took the handkerchief from her purse and started to wipe his head. Manik was driving like crazy.

“Manik, hospital bohat door hai yaha se it will take almost 2 hrs to reach there” said Nandini. “Toh kya karu, apne dad ko aise hi marne ke liye chor du” yelled Manik.

“Just shut up ok! My house is only 30 mins away and my uncle is a doctor so he can take care of him” said Nandini.

Manik realized that she was right “I can’t think of  anything” said Manik.

Nandini noticed that his hands were shaking. “Don’t think anything just do as I say, trust me” said Nandini softly.

Manik said “ok” and drove to Nandini’s house.