Chapter Five: An Odd Visit

A man in a fancy looking military suit sits on her comfy couch while holding a glass of wine. He twisted and twirled it in his fingers.

“Welcome back Phoebe. General Bount would like to speak to you. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you,” says Tess with almost a hint of emotion in her voice. Almost.

“Hello, Phoebe Gliniwinkle. How are you?” he says, his purring voice sothing her whilehe gives her an icy green stare. His tousled black hair made his dazzling teeth look whiter.

Hesitantly, Phoebe sits as far away from him as she could. As much as he has a handsome appearance, he was intimidating.

“Huh-hi, uh, General…” Phoebe says, trying to look more professional by sitting up straight and smoothing her shirt out.

“Phoebe. Since you are a new Pretty I have a few things I need for you. Excuse me, I mean from you,” he says, setting his glass down onto the transparent coffee-table.

“Of course, General. Anything,” the words slip right out of Phoebe’s mouth without her even thinking about it.

“I want you to never say anything bad about the government, to anyone. You got that?” he says looking at Phoebe with an intense gaze.

“Yes, Sir,” again Phoebe says with no doubt in her voice.

“Also, the only think you will think about is what to wear at a party, or what party you’ll go to. Is that understood?”

“Understood, General,” she says without hesitation.

“Now, 84652AI is watching you closely. Don’t try anything,” he says looking up at Tess.

“Yes, Sir,” Phoebe needs to check up on her outfit she’s going to wear tomorrow.

“Then that is all. Thank you for your time, Miss Gliniwinkle,” he says getting up to leave.

“Yes, General. Of course. I hope you enjoyed your visit,” Phoebe says bowing to the General.

He walks out, his military boots make squeaks against the floor. When the door shuts, Phoebe hears him faintly talking to someone behind the door.

“See. No problem. She’s just like the others. No need for back-up. Yeah… Yeah I know. Ever since that one kid with red hair we’ve had to up the security. Okay fine. I’m on my way, Sergant,” he says, his foot steps getting fainter and fainter as he leaves.

What could that possibly mean? She’s just like the others? What others? Why would they need back up against me?A red head kid? What happened? Phoebe thought making her way to her bed room. Right as she walked into the room she forgot she needed to pick up his wine glass. When she walks back out into the living room, she grabs the glass and puts it into the dish washer. It comes out on the other side and looks as pristine as a diamond.

She yawns, asking Tess to lay out a set of pajamas for her. So far her first day has been… well, strange. Sh didn’t expect life as a Pretty to be so unfamiliar. When the closet opens up, a red silk nightgown that stops at the knees has spaghetti straps that latch onto a heart chested design at the top.

Phoebe slips it on, letting the dress glide gracefully over her body. She puts her feet in the covers of her bed one by one. She hauls the big comforter over her body, clapping her hands to turn off the lights.

“Ma’am? You didn’t brush your teeth,” Tess says.

“Oh fine, mom,” Phoebe says as she lazily gets out of bed.

While she brushes her teeth, she tells Tess to change the view of her room to a night sky. Tess obeys and stars polka-dot all around the room. When Phoebe finally spits out the minty toothpaste, she tucks herslf into bed, letting the sweet bliss of sleep take her over.