Chapter Eighteen: What now?

Phoebe gasps. She didn't realize how close freedom is. She didn't realize that she could live a normal life. But what about what everything the Revolution has told her? They were right. Suddenly Kyle stands in between Tyler and Phoebe, his sword out to Tyler.

He looks at Tyler with an emotionless face, "That," he narrows his eyes, "won't happen."

Tyler leans back a little, "You care about Phoebe. You must know what's right for her. So hand her over," Tyler stays confident.

Kyle laughs bitterly, "You think that's what is right for her? You really are a BubbleBrain. You dont know the first thing when it comes to noticing a corrupt world."

Tyler tilts his head, "So you're saying the Revolution is an oh-so-perfect- world?"

"I never said that." Kyle cuts him off, " I hate both options. The stupidness of the Pretties and the cruel mess of Specials," Kyle spits.

"So what option would you pick?" Tyler slowly steps to the left, making his way to a log.

Kyle laughs, "Isn't that obvious?" he pauses raising a brow at Tyler, "I see what you're doing. Don't think you're smarter than me, making me monologue. I see you're headed to that log to use it to knock me out. It wouldn't work anyways."

Tyler stops in his tracks, "Actually, you're wrong."

Kyle doesn't have time to question before he notices where Phoebe stands, directly in the range of Tyler, who races towards her, grabs her hand and pulls her away from Kyle with surprising speed. Even Phoebe had a hard time keeping up. Pounding footsteps come raging like the sound of a hovercraft.

Phoebe breathes heavily through the whipping of the wind and racing of her feet. She still remains unaware of what choice she should make. Live in pain knowing more than most, or living in peace, but ignorant. Wouldn't it be easier? But what would the right thing be to do?

Dad?! Where are you when I need you?!

Follow the stars when you are lost...

Phoebe looks up at the stars as she races past trees and leaves, all shining in the light of the moon. Pandemonium breaks about the whole of Phoebe's world until one strip of light shines down on the Revolution's side.

"Tyler. Stop," Phoebe digs her heels in the ground slaps her hand over Tyler's mouth, forcing him into the shadows of the trees.

Phoebe waits until Kyle runs past their tree, his eyes desperate to find them.

"Tyler... I need to stay here," Phoebe whispers.

Tyler shakes his head repeatedly, "Why? Phoebe, that's crazy! Why would you even think of going back?! Freedom is just over that hill! The only reason I'm here is to find you," Tyler gently grabs Phoebe's shoulders giving them a tiny squeeze.

"I think it's the best thing to do right now..." she whispers, tears falling down her cheeks.

Tyler runs his fingers through his blue hair. He shakes his head and at this point Phoebe can see how much joining the Pretty Military has affected him. His beautiful eyes that used to have a large light in them now look hollow and his face looks sunken.

Phoebe grabs his hand, kissing him on the cheek, "Please, trust me on this..."

A roaring sound comes from the Specials as the Pretties scream out in terror, "RETREAT!"

Phoebe looks down at her feet, knowing this means she probably won't see Tyler again...

"I won't stop looking for you Phoebe. No matter how many times you tell me you have to stay. I will always give you the option of coming back with me. Please... Think about it. Think about your safety..." Tyler leans over, kissing Phoebe on the forehead and saying, "May you be smiled upon."

Phoebe looks up at his bright eyes, the fire replacing the hollowness, "What was that for?"

"It was a charm. To give you wisdom and happiness wherever you are," Tyler smiles, dropping Phoebe's hands.

Tyler races off, fleeing with his Pretty group, Phoebe sighs, "Tyler..."

I snap of a twig alerts her of a person's presence, "I didn't give your boyfriend enough credit." Kyle crosses his arms, leaning on a tree.

Phoebe shakes her head, turning her back to him, "The way you treated him didn't give him enough credit, true. But I'm afraid you're right about his ignorance," Phoebe sighs as hands rest on her shoulders. She shrugs them off, not wanting Kyle's comfort.

"I was rude to you, but everything I said was true," Kyle turns Phoebe around, forcing her to face him.

Phoebe stomps her foot, "It's not your place to speak. By the way," she looks at the dew dropped grass, "Why did you chase after us if you knew the collar would have stopped me?"

Kyle sighs, "Because... Because of what I put on your collar."

"Yeah, it eased the pain. That doesn't mean the collar couldn't shock me," Phoebe looks into the distance, Specials walking back into the militia.

"I stopped you from leaving because I knew you could... I mean, I don't want you to go, but... I guess that's for you to choose," Kyle looks up at me for reassurance.

"So you're saying you completely turned off the collar? How can they not detect that?"

"It's part of the formula. They can't track or hurt us, but it makes it look like they can. It's powerful and there isn't much left," Kyle pulls out the empty bottle with a gloved hand.

Phoebe reaches out for it, but

Kyle shakes a gloved finger at her, "Why can't I see it?"

Kyle looks at her that is reminiscent of a parent warning a child not to put her hand on a stove, "These are destructive and deceptive nano bites. They can destroy and corrupt anything they touch, that's why I wear gloves."

Phoebe huffs, "We better get back so no one suspects we've left," Phoebe begins to walk back.