Prologue

© Copyright. All rights reserved. Sofiya Akhtar. 

 All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any forms or by any means, including photocopying, recording or any other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher, except in case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other non-commercial uses permitted by copyright law. 

 Edited by @XxJemanixX

Prologue 

Kaitlin came rushing in through the small back door of a little white cottage, just to land in a heap in front of her elder sister’s feet. Scrambling to her knees she turned her grubby, but pretty face up to her sisters breathlessly trying to convey some kind of message.  

“I…we…there’s....” 

“Goodness Kaitlin. Calm down first and take a good deep breath in; I’m sure I won’t be running away anywhere so when you’re good and ready you can tell me what it is that’s got you in a muddle.” 

Swishing her slightly torn skirts round; Emma began to prepare supper in their tiny, but sufficient kitchen.  

“Em! You never pay heed to me. It irks me some. Now guess what I’ve heard? Oh, you’ll be shocked to say the least!” 

“Oh Lin, I don’t have time for games you know as well as I do that we would be going to bed on empty stomachs if it wasn’t for me cooking supper, so just be out with it child.” 

“I am no child. I am six and ten years.” Kaitlin stated proudly. 

Emma heaved a heartfelt sigh and gestured with her fingers for Lin to carry on; arguing with her was indeed pointless.  

“Well since you intend on being a spoilt sport I’ll graciously tell you anyway-”  

At this Emma smiled and shook her head ever so slightly. 

“- as you know I was taking a walk in the village and I happened to meet some friends there and we got to talking and Claire was absolutely bursting with excitement as she told me of the Prince’s intention to come riding by the Yorkshire woods as they are well known for good hunting! Fancy that!” 

Emma couldn’t help, but laugh at Kaitlin’s expectant face. She was still a child in so many ways and sometimes Emma felt that she could have used a sheltered childhood like her sister had, had.  

Lin harrumphed and stomped her foot in irritation; Giving way to her dramatic flair. 

“Yes, that’s quite well and good Lyn, but I am not quite sure as to what I am to do with this piece of information. Is knowing that the prince is coming to our neck of the woods going to pay our way through winter so we have enough to eat?” 

Emma felt absolutely terrible for shattering her sister’s hope, but it had to be done. Hope led to hurt. Lin’s face fell and she sat down heavily in one of the only two chairs in the cottage.  

“I just thought Em that…-that he might fall in love with me and then I would take Thomas, mother, you and I to live in his castle and he would take away mother’s sickness and …and we would live happily ever after!” 

She cried out the last part before wailing rather loudly. It was just as well that their little cottage happened to be placed in a secluded area just inside the woods. As Emma was quiet sure their neighbours would have been unsettled.  

“There, there little Lin. You’ll meet you’re prince charming some day and he might not be a real prince, but to you he’ll be a million times better than that. That’s when you will have fallen in love and when you do, you better darn make sure to tell me you hear.” 

A small giggle escaped Lin’s lips and she wrapped her hands round her sister’s waist.  

“Of course I will Em! Why, you would be the first to know indeed.”  

Emma smiled into her sister’s rather dirty copper coloured hair. What Kaitlin never anticipated is that Emma held hopes just like that deep in her heart where no one would ever find out. She also wanted her own prince charming that would take her away and show her the fairytale life that she yearned for in the early hours of the morning, when dreams became irretrievable against the harsh morning air and the long day ahead.

******

No, Really....you like? non? .....let me know. I'll appreciate it, no doubt. xD